Polyester spray filler - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-14-2011, 03:59 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Polyester spray filler

I have a local supplier that's been great in helping me do the right things. I'm filling in the dents on a Mustang roof from hail damage. The more I work it the more I see dents from possible foot prints. I'm going to try something new to me. Polyester filler. I have a siphon type primer gun w/ 1.8 mm tip. I read this type of filler requires 2-4 mm tip and a Gravity gun. Is this filler too thick for my gun? How many coats will I have to spray? Do I primer afterwards?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-14-2011, 04:09 PM

Last journal entry: 54
Last photo:

I hope you dont think you are going to fill those "foot prints" with the polyester? You need to work the dents out as good as you possibly can then use a high quality filler first. The polyester primer will shoot out of a 1.8 BUT it is slow going. You can reduce it with acetone @ 10%. I would go buy a cheap 2.0 tip gravity feed. You can pick one up for less than $50.
Old 05-14-2011, 05:00 PM

Bondo heaven

I've filled all the indentations just to see what I'm dealing with. I sanded with 80 grit w/long block. I filled the shiny dents,but as I keep looking at my feather edges. There seems to be flat spots. I mark them with a marker, fill again and feather edge to the point where I can see thru the filler to my marks. So, no I do not have craters to fill, just odd dents that are not made from just hail.
Old 05-14-2011, 05:22 PM

leave the primer to one side my friend, primer is really only used for sealing the different layers of bondo, metal and paint, and to fill repair scores 120/180 grit.

to fill the minor dents skim the hole area with a fine filler, such as dolphin glaze or fantastic, these are finishing filler, easier to rub and feather out and will reduce drag marks and pin holes.
Old 05-14-2011, 05:40 PM

Primer for last

Oldskool, I will be spraying a Polyester Filler over some bondo patches over a wide area on the roof. Maybe the whole roof should get a coat of this type of filler? I just purchased over the internet a Gravity feed 2.3 mm HVLP filler gun. How many coats do I need? I understand thru some of the posts here, this Poly filler is hard as a brick. I will sand using my orbital sander w/320 grit. After I'll prime the whole car. The Dolphin glaze seems tricky. I can time my mix on bondo. If I were to work an area the size of a roof. I wouldn't know mix time vs application time and how big of an area to commit to. This is why I like the idea of this Poly filler. Do you agree?
Old 05-14-2011, 05:55 PM

the polyester needs 3 good coats apparently, but i have never used it. depending on location of dents on roof i would just skim the whole roof just mix plenty and use less hardener than normal, apply with a large applicator and make sure its a thin coat. if it goes off before you get it all applied dont panic just mix more and skim exsisting area.
Old 05-14-2011, 06:00 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford engine specifications Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

If you see shiny metal or primer in a circular or semi-circular pattern, especially after sanding to feather edges, you have highs which means you have stretched metal. You have two choices, either beat them down (never a recommendation ) or shrink the metal after you have raised the worst of the ding to near level. You can pour on the filler or poly primer (which is just a spray-able filler) - but they will not "cure" the problem without excessive buildup. There is probably nothing worse then trying to fix hail dents, especially if they overlap.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.