Hot Rod Forum banner

pontiac 301 help

2K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  85 regal 
#1 ·
hello how is every body doing tonite. i am having troble putting together a 301 that im building. when i pulled the engine apart i # every thing. starting with the #1 driver side con rod. well i didnt pay to much attention. i also notched each rod so that it would be easy to install the pistons. well to day when i went to check the rods before piston installation. i noticed that 1357locking tabs where to the outside like they should be. 2468where to the inside. every engine i have ever seen has had the locking tab to the outside. also the chamfer is the same on both sides or the rod big end. hummmmm. thought maybe i numbered them wrong so i checked each rod . and there is no way i could have # them like that. if 2468 have there locking tabs to the outside my #s are to the inside. meaning it would either be realy hard to # them or imposiable. so i looked in a gm book. it said on 301 pontiac that there is a niple on the back of each rod. the niple is to point to the back of the engine. i checked and the way i have them all numbered all niples are pointed to the back of the engine. which would leave the locking tabs to the inside on #s2468. does anyone have any experiance on this. i need help. thanks alot
denny

#4 ·
hey if they fit that way it should work that way do all the marks on the pistons face the same way? if not get a 350,400,421,428,455 they will all bolt in on second thought if you find a 421,428 or a 455 send it to me and i'll send you my 400 and pay shipping just to be nice.
:thumbup: good luck hope ya figure it out

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.