Pontiac 350 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-02-2004, 09:31 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Pontiac 350

Who makes a reliable set of Headers for a Pontiac 350 For a 70-74 Pontiac Ventura? if now one does can i swap out that 350 for a chevy? And what is the difference in motors for the pontiac and the chevy any input would be appreciated..
Dave

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-02-2004, 09:39 PM

Last photo:

hooker headers are great for the pontiac engine...the difference between the engines are that the pontaic is a heavier engine thqan the chevy and just puts out alittle bit more.

Thad
Old 02-02-2004, 11:35 PM

Last photo:

My favorite header manufacturer for Pontiac headers is Doug's Headers. Doug does a truly great job in designing and manufacturing a quality product.

http://www.dougsheaders.com/

He starter Doug Thorley Headers many years ago, which became just Thorley headers when he moved on after the divorce. The Thorley company was recently sold to a major header manufacturer. So only "Doug's Headers" are designed and made by Mr. Doug Thorley.

Check the end bolt holes on your current exhaust manifolds. Some 350 heads used only the 4 center bolts to secure the cast iron manifold, and the end holes were not drilled. While there is an adapter that can be bolted on, I don't know how well it works. Most of us would swap out the 350 for either a 400 or 455 since everything is interchangeable and the exterior size of all the Pontiac engines is the same, and absolutely everything will bolt up.
Old 02-02-2004, 11:48 PM

Hooker Competition headers are a real good street header. One tip 70-79 Firebird headers will work with the subframe in the Ventura. The 350 Pontiac may be heavier than the Chevy but has more torque, especially in the bottom to mid rpm ranges, which makes it an excellent street engine, and responds well to minor modifications.
Old 02-03-2004, 12:47 AM
Short changed on common sense

Last photo:

I wouldn't waste my time on a Pontiac 350.

If you stay Pontiac, go with a 400 or a 455. The 400 is a killer 0-60 engine.

Otherwise you could go Chevy. You may need a bellhousing adapter to match it to your tranny.
Old 02-03-2004, 02:18 AM

Last photo:

'67-'69 Firebirds have basically the same subframe as the '71-'74 Venturas, so I would expect the same headers to work unless maybe the '73-'74's used the later-style motor mounts. My '72 uses the older type, same as the old Firebirds.
Old 02-03-2004, 12:49 PM
Engine Builder Mentee

lluciano!?!?! I'm astounded! My '74 Firebird Esprit Pontiac 350 runs just the stock manifolds and I've still blown away quite a few header endowed chevy 350's, as well as 400's. The weekend before I parked it for the winter, I raced a 400 pontiac formula and even beat that! I'm not hear for bragging rights, cuz I know somewhere there's someone always faster, but your 350 may not benefit too much from the headers, both due to the exhaust port exit design and the heads you have on, but with a little parts searching, you can have a Pontiac 350 sleeper no problem!
Old 02-03-2004, 05:38 PM

Pontiac 350 actually have an amazing amount of potential how ever one has to remember that all the parts for them are more expensive than for a chev sb so it won't be as economical. I however would stick with the pontiac engine as everyone and their dog has a chev sb. You also have the option as already mentioned of going with a larger Pontiac engine like a 455 which is a piece of cake as all Pontiac engines are a direct swap.
Old 02-03-2004, 06:20 PM

thanks man

Thanks guys im gonna stay with the 350 pontiac cause hey its a ventura and its different so y change it i love the lines of the car and i just found an origonal Torker I manifold for it. the car was a 2 barrel if i change over with that manifold what kinda carb set up should i go with? 650 750? i dont wanna go Q-Jet so im thinking square bore.. let me know thanks i appreciate the help im a young mechanic i know the basics been doing for a while now but this older stuffs more fun to figure out so let me know thanks again
Dave
Old 02-03-2004, 06:30 PM

why don't you wanna go q-jet that would be my carb of choice in your situation
Old 02-03-2004, 06:59 PM

Last photo:

What carb is the Torker made for? That would probably be my choice. The Torker is a single plane manifold and might feel a little soft through most of the 350 RPM range. Either a quadrajet or no larger than a 650 carb would be my choice.
Old 02-03-2004, 09:12 PM
Tire Fryer

Last photo:

The Torker is made for both a holley and a quadrajet type carb. The plenum is shaped more like a q-jet but will accept a holley. I think that Torker is the wrong intake for your 350. You're way better off with the stock intake or an Edelbrock Performer. I'm running a Torker with a Demon right now on my street/strip 455. BTW, Q-jets can be awesome carberators if done by someone who knows them. Never knock a q-jet.
Old 02-03-2004, 09:45 PM

I use the same intake as 6567 on my street/strip 400 in my 71 GTO, but I run an 800 spreadbore double pumper Holley on mine but thinking of going to a stock iron dual plane to pick up a little more on the bottom end, and to match with the cam I'm running better. There is nothing wrong with the factory iron intake and quadrajet, in fact one of the best performing intakes ever produced and the quadrajet one of the finest carbs ever. I used to run one years ago and going to use a quadrajet on the 400 I'm building for the wifes 69 Custom S.
Old 02-03-2004, 10:55 PM

Last photo:

Hey G.G., I thought that I had one of the few remaining Holley 800 spreadbores around - and both are on Torker manifolds (Picture was to show someone where to hook up linkage, so ignore arrow. Engine was pulled to drop in new chassis).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	455 carb.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	36.8 KB
ID:	1182  
Old 02-03-2004, 11:10 PM

Well Lust I've had my Torker fer quite a while, in fact I've owned it twice and the 800 I got from a friend, wanted to try it after using his 850 for awhile and I believe he picked up the 800 which I now have at the Auto Fair at Lowes Motor Speedway a few years ago. What a carb, gave me whiplash the first time I got into it. I'm going to use this carb and intake on the next engine going in the Goat, but going with a different cam and not sure on the heads yet, whether I'm going to use my 670's or try something else. Depends on my pocket.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.