Pontiac 350 in my 51 Chevy - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-13-2005, 04:48 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Pontiac 350 swap 51 Chevy coupe

Hi...I'm looking for some input on my particular swap. My Chevy has a tired 235 with a Powerglide that I'm looking to replace (this will be my first swap). I came across a good deal for a 350\350 and rearend out of a '69 Firebird. I found some threads that say Pontiac to Chevy isn't that difficult, but they're usually referring to trucks. I've also read the mounts may have to be fabricated, but are there other things I need to consider? Thanks

Advertisement

Last edited by 51SportsCoupe; 05-13-2005 at 05:28 PM. Reason: Clarify title
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-14-2005, 04:40 AM
Jeeps Are Us!

Last journal entry: The Paint Shop
Last photo:

O.K.

I have a 1970 Camaro SS which when I bought, it had Pontiac 400/th350 in it.
Now, since I'm replacing this Pontiac engine with a 350 sbc to take the car back to it's original, so maybe I can tell you some facts.

Acutally the Pontiac motor mounts have a different place on the chasis, so you'll have to drill some extra holes.
I don't think that for your car you'll have hood clearance problems, but I had with the pontiac inside. My engine never had an air cleaner with Ponti.

The transmission mounts on the same spot if I'm not wrong and, ....and, I think that's about it.

I still haven't completely removed the Ponti out, so if you want me to check anythink just let me know.

Take care,
Houman
Old 05-14-2005, 05:51 AM
Will I ever get it done?

Last journal entry: Primer
Last photo:

You will have to fab or buy motor mounts whether you go with a SB/BB Chevy or a Pontiac engine. The biggest difference is the Pont. mounts are further back on the engine, so the frame mounts must be further back on the frame. I have a set of mounts from these guys: http://www.totalcostinvolved.com/pro...ngine%20Mounts
They have extra material, so you can probably mount them further back without too much modification. You may have to lengthen the lower strut since the frame starts to widen.
If your cross member is in good shape, check out the tranny mount from these guys:http://www.chassisengineeringinc.com...9-1954chev.htm
You may have clearance problems with the steering box. I think the Poncho engines are slightly wider than the small block chevy. I would convert over to a MII front suspension with R&P. I have the Total Cost Involved kit in my 41 and like the quality. You will have to fab up a steering shaft.

Houman, I am not sure why you had hood clearance problems. The 70 Camaro and 70 Firebird are basically the same car. Did the engine have a high rise or stock manifold on it? The original Pontiac manifolds are pretty low. Most aftermarket units will cause hood clearance problems on a 'bird. Either that or the conversion used the wrong frame mounts. 51SportsCoupe shouldn't have a problem cause these old Chevies can just about house a tunnel ram under the stock hood with velocity stacks.
Old 05-14-2005, 09:42 AM
Analog man in a digital world.

Last journal entry: HEI comparison.
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsdad
You may have clearance problems with the steering box. I think the Poncho engines are slightly wider than the small block chevy. I would convert over to a MII front suspension with R&P. I have the Total Cost Involved kit in my 41 and like the quality. You will have to fab up a steering shaft.
I have seen this swap before in an old magazine, there is interference between the steering and the Pontiac exhaust because of the way the exhaust ports point down and the width of the engine. As I recall that guy swapped on a '66 Corvair front suspension. This was before anybody had discovered the Mustang II set up. A front suspension swap is something I'd do on one of those anyway even if there wasn't a clearance issue.
Old 05-14-2005, 09:46 AM
Short changed on common sense

Last photo:

The Pontiac 400 would be the way to go. That is a killer factory engine. Just change out the rod bolts for some ARPs.

A Pontiac 350 would be pointless. You may as well stay with an SBC 350 if you are going to do that.
Old 05-14-2005, 10:17 AM
Jeeps Are Us!

Last journal entry: The Paint Shop
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsdad
You will have to fab or buy motor mounts whether you go with a SB/BB Chevy or a Pontiac engine. The biggest difference is the Pont. mounts are further back on the engine, so the frame mounts must be further back on the frame. I have a set of mounts from these guys: http://www.totalcostinvolved.com/pro...ngine%20Mounts
They have extra material, so you can probably mount them further back without too much modification. You may have to lengthen the lower strut since the frame starts to widen.
If your cross member is in good shape, check out the tranny mount from these guys:http://www.chassisengineeringinc.com...9-1954chev.htm

Houman, I am not sure why you had hood clearance problems. The 70 Camaro and 70 Firebird are basically the same car. Did the engine have a high rise or stock manifold on it? The original Pontiac manifolds are pretty low. Most aftermarket units will cause hood clearance problems on a 'bird. Either that or the conversion used the wrong frame mounts. 51SportsCoupe shouldn't have a problem cause these old Chevies can just about house a tunnel ram under the stock hood with velocity stacks.
Well Redsdad,

The intake on my engine is the original intake but looks like an air gap, I've been told that it's an HO intake and it is aluminum. But I'm definitly sure that it is not after market.

Thanks,
Houman
Old 05-14-2005, 12:19 PM

Thanks everyone who's commented on this so far.

Whether I go with the Pontiac or SBC, im planning on changing over to a R & P steering setup and some kind of IFS, possibly MII. It just makes sense to me to do this while everything's out and avoid the clearance problems.

As far as going with the Pontiac 400, yeah that's a better engine, but I don't see myself ever finding one for the price I paid for the 350. If money was no object, there are many engines I'd prefer...383, 427 etc. However, money is an object and anything I can save here can go toward the long list of parts this car needs.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.