Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - pontiac 350 vs 400 bb
View Single Post
Old 11-10-2004, 11:10 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Claymore, thanks very much! That is what I wanted to know.. fitment. I had thought GM used the same engines across chevy, buick, pontiac etc so I figured getting a fresh engine might be the way to go. I figured that the Firebirds evil twin the Camaro was offered with a 350 and assumed it was the same as the Firebird 350 engine.

Rifraf, thanks for the advice on the 455 and the story about the one you built. It's that front end lifting power that sent me searching for the used bird. It is my wife's car so it must be street friendly with no drivablity quirks. A radical cam would not please her at all. It will never see the track but it surely will see plenty of WOT.

What would be the benefit of looking for a used 455 compared with building what I have? Wouldn't they both be in need of rebuilding? Any 455 I found in a yard will have been around in 1974 or earlier, wouldn't it?

Are the GM 455 crate engines also different from the Pontiac block, and therefore have the same fitment issues.

My priority is to have an engine that runs well on premium pump gas with some oomph and this engine should fit that bill if it were running right. My engine is out of a GTO, with the YS head. I think that was a lower power/lower compression version but I have more research to do.

Perhaps the solution would be to rebuild what I now have with the stroker kit.

I would appreciate some suggestions on reading material, parts suppliers etc. I talked with the owner of a 67 Firebird that was for sale and he showed me the receipts for all his engine work, saying how much extra it cost to build up a Pontiac. I'm starting to understand why.

Just so folks know, I don't have the tools, ability etc to do this work myself so I will be paying for others to attend to things. Price comes into major consideration for the project. Keep this in mind while you're vicariously spending my money... ;0)