Thread: Pontiac 400
View Single Post
Old 11-19-2012, 05:22 PM
Old & Furious

Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by LATECH View Post
They sound like junk to me.
You will spend 9-1200 bucks making them worth a crap, then you will need to change your pistons to run them, dont waste yor time and money.
look around at edelbrock or kaufmann racing or somehwre for aluminum heads with a close to correct chamber size and shape.
Or get some later model ones in decent shape and do some port work. your still going to spend a grand anyhow, 2k for edelbrock heads isnt so crazy.
Being that your block probably isnt zero decked, its probably best to just get some 73-79 heads as was suggested and use them.
Yep edlebrocks are the way to go. They are based off the ram air IV casting. But flow alot better. Also come in any cc you need to get right cr. And they have the big valves.

Rusty heads are ok most poncho guys would have snatched the round ports up. But you did the right thing leaving them set. Only good for ebay auction. But cost is crazy to have shop do everything.

Olds motor is total crap. But you have a basicly stock 400 that runs and drives. Dont even touch it stab it in and drive. Dont worry about the power it will be a crap load more than the olds motor.

If you are going to build a fast firebird use a chevy motor. It will be alot cheaper and a lot faster dollar for dollar. I love ponchos but i would never build another one Butler performace makes very fast engine for very little money. Its next to impossible to build something for less money that is faster than what butler can build for you.
The Following User Says Thank You to hcompton For This Useful Post:
77pontolds (11-19-2012)