Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Pontiac 400
Thread: Pontiac 400
View Single Post
Old 01-19-2013, 09:34 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Regarding flow and low-speed power, headers aren't really in their "natural habitat". I have no doubt, the three tube cheepies made more "seat of the pants" power than the log manifolds. I also have no doubt, on a dyno, the Ram Air exhaust manifolds make more power above 3,500 RPM than the 3-tube jobs. There is no way they can make more peak power than a good 4-tube header unless something is terribly "amiss" elsewhere.

Headers are not installed specifically for "flow" increase. The sound wave plays an important role in making peak power. Isolation of exhaust pulses from each other, and the length of the primary tube, have the greatest impact on power production from headers. The BIG difference would show clearly at a track with "open" headers.

77pontolds,

Glad you got the 'bird going! Olds guys always get defensive when I tell them this about the 400 Pontiac. But it's true. Not many better street-performance engines than 400 Pontiac. Wait 'til you pump it up a little... (:- Ignore the buzzing in your ear about Chevys. If it were a Camaro, I'd agree with a Chevy... T/A and GTO were the top of their respective classes for a lot of reasons.

Jim