Pontiac 400 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-29-2013, 07:56 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Pontiac 400

How is the 400 Pontiac vs the chevy 400 I know the Pontiac is a big block and the chevy is a small block. What hp can be got out reasonably got out of the Pontiac vs the chevy. I had a 400 but I traded it and I thinking I should have kept it thanks

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-29-2013, 08:27 PM

Last photo:

The Pontiac 400/455 is NOT a big block, the Pontiac blocks are externally the same. With the right heads and build I would much rather have a Pontiac 400 than a Chevy 400. I am not bashing the Chevy but the Pontiac is better IMO.
Old 03-29-2013, 08:58 PM

I always thought the Pontiac was a big block sorry my bad. My only probably is a good set of heads are so high for it vs the chevy 400 that one reason I got rid of the one I had. I don't like the chevy 400 because of all the problem but I love being able to get parts for the chevy cheap thanks
Old 03-30-2013, 05:18 AM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrbaker View Post
I always thought the Pontiac was a big block sorry my bad. My only probably is a good set of heads are so high for it vs the chevy 400 that one reason I got rid of the one I had. I don't like the chevy 400 because of all the problem but I love being able to get parts for the chevy cheap thanks
I'm from Canada and have been a big Pontiac fan for over 40 years...Because they had so many engines with the same or similar cubic inches as Chevy and in Canada most of the full size cars came with SBC, we called them Pontiac Blue Blocks, maybe they did in the US as well but, that's the way we distinguished between the two. The Pontiac engines where the same basic Block with several differences in a few things over the years like freeze plugs etc.

Pontiac engines can be torque monsters and there are quite a few guys on this site that can give you good insight on building one that can perform well and hopefully not break your bank. One person that comes to mind is "Mr.PBody", he's a Pontiac guru as well some others. Check into the archives and I'm sure you'll get some great information.

You mentioned heads...if I'm correct, some of the 6X heads can be made to perform extremely well and can be purchased at a reasonable price and run on pump gas, something that the desirable 670, 48 and other Pontiac heads can have a bit of a problem with

I'm more of a paint and body guy now but, when I was younger I thought I new my Pontiac engines pretty good and have built a few that did fairly well...I joined this site to learn more about Pontiac engines and drive train for a build I'm currently on. I found out that the amount I thought I knew didn't amount to very much and the people on this site have given me a wealth of information.

Ray
Old 03-30-2013, 08:18 AM

engines have pistons and cams and heads and burn gasoline,so basically the same thing(not counting the rotary) Its a matter of price and parts availability,the rest is math and dollars.
Old 03-30-2013, 04:02 PM

Has anybody built a 461 stroker out of one I looked on Ebay at a crank and it wasn't that high. I think my block was a 1974 I don't know what it was out of I wish I would have keep it the Pontiac 400 are really rare around here. What would the Pontiac fit in I know the firebird/Trans am but what else. Is the block any bigger because the one I had just looked alot bigger then the 400 chevy I have thanks
Old 03-30-2013, 04:16 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last journal entry: Motor - vator
Last photo:

Pontiac engines are considered Intermediate Blocks. Not big block not small block. The Nice thing is the external dimension of the engine is the same for 326 through 455 . A Pontiac 455 will bolt right in where a Pontiac 350 used to live, no problem
They can be stroked, a 400 to 461 and the 455 to a 501 cubic inch.
The 400 factory stroke is 3.75 inches. The chevy guys spend money to stroke a 350 engine to 3.75 inches to arrive at 383.
I would avoid Evil Bay for a stroker kit. Go to WWW.Butlerperformance.com or Kaufmann racing .
Butler has complete assemblys , balanced ready to go for as little as 15 bones. Some minor clearancing will be needed of course.
As Bill Creech pointed out, a 557 block isnt strong enough to stroke, at least it isnt recommended. Seems like yours being a 74 would be the 481988 block casting number...which would be a great candidate for stroking.
Also if you are bolting this in a 70 and up firebird pay attention to the motor mount bolt holes in the block as the 69 and back 400 and 428 did not have bolt holes for the mounts.

Last edited by LATECH; 03-30-2013 at 04:24 PM.

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.