pontiac 400 cooling - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-28-2002, 07:19 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Lightbulb pontiac 400 cooling

I have a '47 international p.u. with a 400 pontiac engine. The problem has always been to keep this hot running engine cool enough given the narrow space limitations the truck has up front. I finally resorted to a huge Al Griffin radiator standing on end. this keeps it cool, but is a little too tall and will not run at 165 on cool spring days. any thoughts?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-28-2002, 07:32 PM

Had the same problem on my 40 Ford. Read an article that said problem was that there was no where for air to go. I put louvers in my fender wells, made a huge difference. May help you. Jack
Old 04-29-2002, 10:39 AM

Wink

First thought that came to my mine also. You might try lifting the rear of your hood up a half inch or so with washers under the hinges to see what affect this has before going to the expense.
Old 04-29-2002, 07:41 PM

that sounds like a plan, i always did think it was awefully hot under the hood. I'll let you know how it turns out.
Old 06-02-2002, 04:17 PM

I have a 39 Ford Sedan with a 455 Pontiac in it. I have have been running this set-up for about 10 years. Have had trouble with overheating all but the last two years. Could never sit in traffic very long on hot days. Have done all of the following: Installed a Griffin Radiator, added louvers to hood, opened up the inner fender wells, played with the timing and carb. The two items that helped the most were adding the louvers and installing high capacity electrical fans. My fans are on the front of the radiator because of space limitations. Not the preferred location for them. Better on back side. If you run electric fans on front, it is VERY important to seal them against the radiator. Otherwise you loose a lot of air by allowing it to leak out the side and not thru the radiator. If you have fans on the back side, need to run a shourd for the same reason.

As far as temperature, I don't get really concerned anymore unless the temp is above 220 or so. If you are running a Pontiac below 200 you are doing fine. The red temperature warning light on a stock pontiac does not come on until 260 F.

PS: Don't try the "Water Wetters", Below 40 deg or whatever it is called. None of this stuff made any significant difference.

Good Luck.
Old 06-02-2002, 05:29 PM
Fantastically cannibalistic!

Last photo:

godofgsxr, I have a '77 T/A with a 400 in it, it used to run pretty hot 200-215, then I added a electric fan and cut out the sheetmetal restricting the side vents in the fenders and I'm running 170-190 in 97-120 degree temps. Pontiacs are a warm running engine so keep that in mind. Pontiac knew this so they put in the fender vents in all their muscle cars. Just increase the airflow in the engine compartment and it should do fine.

Faust

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.