Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Pontiac 400 / Oil Pump Gasket Question?
View Single Post
Old 10-29-2012, 10:04 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Pontiac 400 / Oil Pump Gasket Question?

Hey guys im new to the site , have been checking the site out for a while but just now registered as im in a bind.

OK i recently finsihed building my poncho 400 bored 040 forged pistons 6x heads shaved to 9.2CR , Perf RPM dual plane intake , lunati 233/241 503/527 110lsa cam , scorpion roller rockers etc.

I have never built a pontiac before only chevy's and i have never used oil pump gaskets, well i didnt use one on this Pontiac either.
I was talking to a friend who told me that Pontiacs require a gasket on the oil pump....

When i finished the motor after cam break in , i noticed that once it warms up to 190 oil pressure drops to ZERO on my auto meter 200ps gauge that was in the car , so i went and bough a cheap sunpro oil pressure gauge and its reading 55lbs on start up , once warm and in gear 20lbs at idle , if i bump the throttle it flys up to 60lbs.

Just trying to figure out if i need to lift the motor and drop the pan to put this gasket on the oil pump... Or if pontiacs are like Chevys where they will be ok without them .... I used the melling high volume pump.