Pontiac 400 rebuild - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-21-2003, 09:27 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Post Pontiac 400 rebuild

i first bought my T/A with the 403 olds engine, that engine wasn't enough power for me, so i bought a 400 out of a 1968. i was just trying to get opinions and keep my options open on: pistons, rods, rings, bearings, cam, rockers, etc., etc. The crank just needs to be polished and the heads are in really good shape they are 67 cc with 2.11 intakes and 1.77 exhaust compression ratio is around 10.5:1. Again just trying to get ideas on types and brands for a total engine rebuild. (COST MEANS NOTHING)

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-21-2003, 09:33 PM

P.S. I was thinking about turbo charging the engine later (with the carb)
Old 04-22-2003, 02:32 PM

I would try to find out if that is an Americam big block 400,they generally have a better quality metal and most of them had a steel crank in them as well as far as I know and they tend to stand up a lot better under stress.And it is a good thing that money means nothing because you'll need it to build one of those puppies.But,once it's done and hopefully right,you will have a motor that will be pretty much bullet proof.My brother knows a pile more about these than I do so I'll talk to him and find out some stuff for you if you want just email me at ajgeneral@monarch.net and let me know.
Old 04-22-2003, 03:50 PM

First off,there are no "big block" pontiac motors.They are all the same size from '65 up,aside from bore and stroke.What is the casting on those heads?It sounds like you have the good small chamber,big valve heads.These are great as long as you don't mind putting premium in all the time.My brother has a rebuilt"not to specs" '76 400 block w/'68 #62 heads.It hauls *****!I would look at P.A.W. or summit,JEGS or whoever you like for parts.They all have quality parts for Pontiac,and if cost is no concern,you should be able to build a beast.I know there are Pontiac specific sites,so you might look to them for combinations and go to one of the afformentioned catalogues to get your parts.Good luck!Pontiacs smoke and are a pleasure to work on.Bruce
Old 04-22-2003, 04:11 PM

Look at Rock and Roll Engineering, Jim Butler performance, and Indian Adventures. Also There is no Big Block poncho as stated above.
Old 04-22-2003, 06:11 PM
Tire Fryer

Last photo:

I hear of horror stories about Rock and Roll. Indian adventures is great and so is Jim Butler. Three other places to check out and that are very reputable are Spotts Performance out of PA, Kaufman Racing of OH and last but definately not least is Kens Speed and Machine Shop of FLA. Here are the links...

www.spottsperformance.com/

pontiacdude.cc/

www.chiefmanyhorses.com/
<a href="http://www.jbp-pontiac.com/]Jim Butler[/URL]
Old 04-24-2003, 05:15 PM
NEVER use credit cards!

Last journal entry: car with tt2's, (stockers going back on)
Last photo:

www.sdperformance.com
Old 04-24-2003, 05:39 PM
Tire Fryer

Last photo:

Thumbs up

That's another great Pontiac guru bullheimer. How could I have forgotten Dave Bishop! Plus I forgot Nunzi!

<a href="http://www.nunzi-pontiac-expert.com/" target="_blank">Nunzi's</a>

[ April 25, 2003: Message edited by: 6567GTO ]</p>
Old 04-26-2003, 05:20 PM
Engine Builder Mentee

Wow, cost is no concern, I wish I were you! I'm guessing that the heads are pre '68, because I believe that 72 cc is the smallest chamber you could have on a '68. (Note also that Pontiac rated their compression about a half of a point higher than it actually was) Knowing what casting number these heads are would be a big help too. All the '68 -'70 heads flow well and are good for high compression. However, don't plan on makin this a long hauler without pressing new valve seats; they can't handle the unleaded gas. You'd be okay if it's just to tool around in once in a while though. Stock Pontiac rods are good, but if you'be got the nut and bolt style connectors, ditch em for a new set of ARP studs-that's the weak spot on Pontiacs. As far as cams go, I think that Comp Cams still makes the blueprint "068" RAIII cam, and I know they still make the RAIV cam, but that's pretty big for street(you'd need a new stall converter)I think the RAIV cam was the only one run on 1.65 ration rockers too, the rest being 1.5 Also if you find a set of RAIII exhaust manifolds, these flow well. Really, you don't get a lot of advantage from headers unless you're running them open, or with huge exhaust. That's about all I can think of now, hope it helps.
Old 04-26-2003, 09:20 PM

Ok the only Pontiac heads to have less than 72cc's between 67-70 were 69 casting #48 Ram Air III heads. The 72cc heads were 12's,13's, 62's, 670's and 16's. A good intake to use on a street/strip Pontiac is the Edelbrock Performer RPM. Also using a 68 block in that late of an F-body you will have to have to make sure that the later block mounts will bolt to the early block otherwise you will need to get some type of plate made toattach the mounts to. Early blocks only have one mounting provision and that can lead to problems in later F-bodies. The later F-bodies use the clamshell design frame mounts and are different from the earlier type. Some good cams to use is the Crane Blueprint Ram Air IV, The .501 lift Comp ( if you use this cam install it 4 degrees advanced otherwise it won't make any power below 4000 rpm)or the Crower 60210. By all means use a good set of 4 tube header such as Hookers or Hedman and use a 2 1/2 in exhaust. A good carb is the 750 double pumper and use a converter with a minimum stall of 2600-3000. The 400 will live on the street using octane booster with 93 octane pump gas and will run like gangbusters. I run a high compression 400 daily in my 71 GTO and have had no problems with city or highway driving. Hope this helps.
Old 04-27-2003, 10:28 AM

Question....why are pontiac guys soooooo hooked up on this "RAM AIR IV" Bull*****??? its a thing of the past guys, get over it. Just about any modern cam grind is light years ahead of the "ram air" crap. There are so many performance cams out there outside the ram air garbage. I feel like the only pontiac guy thats ever bought a cam outside of a "Ram Air" grind. Oh and stay away from hedmans on the pontiac....mine didnt fit worth a crap, theyre horrible, i couldnt even get one of the bolts in because the tube design blocks it. Id go with a performer RPM manifold, a good dual pattern cam {pontiacs like dual pattern much more} Some hooker super comp headers. if cost means nothing get some edelbrock heads and have them ported. Also a good investment for pontiacs are lightweight forged pistons {easier on stock cast rods wich arent the strongest} And if you can afford it get some good aftermarket rods.
Old 04-27-2003, 11:12 AM
Tire Fryer

Last photo:

Agreed nickel333, Ram Air cams are old but they do work well. The cam I'm running in my 65 right now is later design by Ultradyne which is a dual pattern hydraulic 288/296, .485/.507 110deg. which actually is a little more .495/.517 with the Harland Sharp 1.5 roller rockers. I'm running a Torker 1 with my 4 sp. and 3.73's which I've found to be an excellent combo. Runs and sounds mean.
Old 04-27-2003, 05:17 PM
Grumpy

Last photo:

Should have kept the olds engine and thrown in the cam from the 85 442. The performace is nice to say the least. But just my opinion.

You cant turbo a carbureted engine, carburetors rely on the suction of the air flowing past the venturi and such, turbo would just force the fuel back into the carb and blow out the gaskets, now supercharging is possible since the carb sits on top, the air is still sucked through it.

But anyway enough with my stupid comments, just wanted to say, "Total seals" gapless rings. They all but eliminate leak down problems, of which regular rings can have something like 12% leak down. A great and "cheap" proformance option for any engine being built, sound like a sales person :p
Old 04-27-2003, 06:16 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Don't put "gapless" rings in if your going to turbocharge or use a blower later.

Not wise.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.