Pontiac 428 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-16-2012, 10:54 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Pontiac 428

Any experiences with stroking a 428 with a 455 crankshaft? What's the gain in HP? What extra machining besides boring +30 or 40? Any specific Cam requirements for roller rockers, need to run roller cam for street/strip/cruise use?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2012, 12:18 PM
Grumpy Old Goat Herder

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CETEN
Any experiences with stroking a 428 with a 455 crankshaft? What's the gain in HP? What extra machining besides boring +30 or 40? Any specific Cam requirements for roller rockers, need to run roller cam for street/strip/cruise use?
My first experiance with a stroked 428 was when I bought one in 1970. It had been built by CT Automotive, in California, using one if their welded stroker cranks (4.25"). It had JE Super Light pistons with stock cast rods. The crank eventually cracked so I started using offset ground 455 cranks until I went all out hard core racing. Now I have one forged 4.25" stroke crank and one 5.00" billet crank and I now use aliminum rods. I have three aftermarket (IA) blocks. One standard deck and two tall deck.
The only thing that you would need to change to make a 455 out of a 428 is the crank and the pistons. You can run roller rockers on any engine, but you will need an adjustable valve train, so if you have bottle neck rocker studs, you will need to change to screw in 7/16 studs with Poly Locks, and if you change cams, you will need valve springs to match the cam.

Bill

Old 01-17-2012, 11:47 AM

Using a 455 crank in a 428 bored .030" IS a "455". Why?

What is the application? We have many running the 4" stroke with great results. The rod "angle" (rod/stroke ratio) is much better for higher revs.

All factory 428 cranks are 'nodular' iron and can withstand over 700 HP. Same is true of the 455 cranks except the last version, which has no "N" on the cheek. The "103" (last three digits of the casting) cranks are nodular.

Tell us more.

Jim
Old 01-17-2012, 12:51 PM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

There are guys who would be glad to swap you a 55 crank for your 28... Not that it much matters but I like the 428. A lot. In the right application it'll run very good.
Old 01-25-2012, 10:42 AM

Thanks for the comments. I'm a bit confused as to why the 455 crank also. The pistons I have are for .30 over, the rods are stock 428. The idea to stroke the motor came from the previous owner. I do not "race" serious, just what to build a street screamer. Since I have a few parts, I just want to get the most out of the engine since I have options and the cost is better to spend it up-front and do it right so that I will have a bullet proof engine. I have a BOP rear seal to replace the rope seal. Are there any other aftermarket oil leak secrets? I've always had leaks from my Pontiac Engines. Another opinion question, The "Dual Grind" Comp cam "CL51-224-4" hydraulic, that's a 274/286 lift, 230/236 Duration and they only offer a 106" center line. Any opinions on this as a street cam with power brakes and vacuum advance dist. Thanks, Chet
Old 01-25-2012, 11:52 AM

Chet,

Changing the stroke increases the displacement. There's a solid foundation for the term "no replacement for displacement". However, the 428 is no "punk". Rick Holladay runs 10.30s over 130 with his in a '65 GTO convertible, over 3,400 lbs. and a 4-speed. It's a "pump gas" engine.

Be absolutely certain to replace the connecting rods. A "stock" 428 rod is a casting, not a forging. It is also the SAME rod used in all other full-sized Pontiac V8s. It is the "weak link" in the chain. There are many good choices. The Eagle H-beam is considered the 'best for the money". For your application, though,.the RPM 5140 forgings are adequate. Most Pontiac vendors sell them, anywhere from $240 to $300 for a set.

XE274H (the cam you mention) is a good "replacement" for the Ram Air IV cam in lower compression engines (under 9.5:1).

The BOP seal is very good. We HAVE experienced ssues with "stock" blocks, though. The seal "groove" is not machined "close tolerance" because they knew a "rope" seal would be used. Sometimes, the Viton seal will leak because the groove isn't "round". We use the Best Gasket "GraphTite" seal. It's a graphite-impregnated rope. In aftermarket blocks, we use the BOP.

BOP also sells a 1-piece oil pan gasket. More often than not, the rear seal gets blamed for a pan leak. The rear "lip" is problematic, and the new gasket "cures" it.

Most important,. use no sealer between machined surfaces where a paper gasket is used. RTV causes more leaks than it fixes. If a little is "enough", a lot is NOT "better".

Jim
Old 01-25-2012, 12:04 PM
Grumpy Old Goat Herder

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CETEN
Thanks for the comments. I'm a bit confused as to why the 455 crank also. The pistons I have are for .30 over, the rods are stock 428. The idea to stroke the motor came from the previous owner. I do not "race" serious, just what to build a street screamer. Since I have a few parts, I just want to get the most out of the engine since I have options and the cost is better to spend it up-front and do it right so that I will have a bullet proof engine. I have a BOP rear seal to replace the rope seal. Are there any other aftermarket oil leak secrets? I've always had leaks from my Pontiac Engines. Another opinion question, The "Dual Grind" Comp cam "CL51-224-4" hydraulic, that's a 274/286 lift, 230/236 Duration and they only offer a 106" center line. Any opinions on this as a street cam with power brakes and vacuum advance dist. Thanks, Chet
The choice of a 4.21" stroke crank over a 4.00" crank is for a little more torque v.s. more RPM. As far as I'm concerned, you have the ideal street/strip set up, except for the cam. I would tend to go with a cam with 110* to 112* centerline, but maybe Jim (Mr P-Body) will chime in with a better recomendation, as I haven't built a street engine since the early 70s.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.