Pontiac 455 Water Pump Install - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-25-2008, 11:26 AM

Last journal entry: 1954 Chevy Truck Project
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Pontiac 455 Water Pump Install

I am trying to install the water pump and housing onto a 455 but the engine came to me in pieces and I cannot find information on how the seals install. Does anyone have any information or a diagram on how these parts & seals fit?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-25-2008, 11:53 AM

Last photo:

The sleeves fit into the timing cover. They really can't go but one way, big end facing the radiator. Exploded view of the timing cover/water pump/divider plates/gaskets.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	water pump.JPG
Views:	422
Size:	26.9 KB
ID:	31450   Click image for larger version

Name:	timing_cover_with_inserts1.jpg
Views:	373
Size:	67.7 KB
ID:	31451  
Old 07-25-2008, 12:23 PM

Last journal entry: 1954 Chevy Truck Project
Last photo:

It appears the exploded view is of an early model set up and the picture is of a late model timing cover.

The one I am trying to assemble is a 1972 block with an early model timing cover and the associated parts (balancer/pwr steering/water pump/Alt brkt) that go along with that set up. I do not know why the owner went this route but it is what it is.

Some specific questions I still have regarding the installation are:

1. Is there a rubber seal for the water passage between the block and the timing cover? Seems there should be one.
2. Is there a seal between the divider plate and the timing cover? Seems there needs to be one.
Old 07-25-2008, 01:17 PM

Last photo:

yes to both of your questions.

sam-missle
Old 07-25-2008, 01:32 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston54
It appears the exploded view is of an early model set up and the picture is of a late model timing cover.

The one I am trying to assemble is a 1972 block with an early model timing cover and the associated parts (balancer/pwr steering/water pump/Alt brkt) that go along with that set up. I do not know why the owner went this route but it is what it is.

Some specific questions I still have regarding the installation are:

1. Is there a rubber seal for the water passage between the block and the timing cover? Seems there should be one.
2. Is there a seal between the divider plate and the timing cover? Seems there needs to be one.
The exploded view gets the idea across as to how the plates and gaskets assemble.

There is NO seal between the water passages/tubes and the block. The tubes just drop in. The timing cover has a gasket that goes around the tube area as pictured in the exploded view.

There are gaskets with each layer of water pump/divider/divider/timing cover
Old 01-05-2014, 05:27 AM

Early water pump? Me too. Am I missing divider plate gaskets?

It doesn't show the gaskets you spoke of in the posted diagram.
It only shows 1 gasket...?

I see the explode view early water pump diagram, (from a previous post in this thread), is from the Pontiac Factory Service manual, I believe. I found a copy of it online and the manuals diagrams have no real supporting text or procedures, (unless the manual I read was incomplete, please let me know).

I purchased the timing cover gasket kit and it has gaskets for both the early and late water pumps, but does not have any divider plate gaskets.

I guess I could make some but I have no guidelines as one would normally find where a gasket once was. I don't want to do anything that might obstruct proper fluid flow. One of the gaskets would have to be a partial, as there is little to no mating surface on the back of the first plate, (or insert).

Here is the thread with more details on my rattling water pump issue. Sorry, I missed that your 72 455 had an early pump when searching the posts for this problem. Thanks for posting!
67 Pontiac 400 water pump divider plates

1967 Firebird 400 - Early water pump - (with rattely water pump plates)
Old 01-05-2014, 06:30 AM

It appears you have a mid-1963 through 1967 8-bolt water pump and timing cover. Those do not have a gasket between the divider plate and the timing cover. You are lucky to find a good used timing cover, most used timing covers are worthless due to corrosion.

Antique Pontiac Tip Of The Day:
If you do not have the two timing cover alignment dowels in the lower timing cover bolt holes in the engine block, the timing cover is likely to leak oil at the crankshaft seal. I don't think those dowels have been reproduiced yet so they are a salvage yard part.

The 1968-1979 water pumps and timing covers have 11-bolts and they use the tubes as shown in the photo . New reproduction timing covers are available from various Pontiac specialty companies.
The Following User Says Thank You to MouseFink For This Useful Post:
ClassicMuscle (01-05-2014)
Old 01-05-2014, 08:14 AM

Exactly what I needed. Thanks

Hi MouseFink, Thanks very much for your valuable input. My timing cover is in great shape. The divider plate mating surfaces are good, but I think I will try new divider plates, knowing now, that I have everything that should be there. I'll bet a good quality "water pump housing" and divider set will do it. I searched for "water pump divider" and found them.

Thank you.

On your Antique Pontiac Tip Of The Day,
I will make sure the dowel pins are in place. Mine had 1. Also, I have 2 extra parts in my FelPro Timing Cover gasket set. They are small plastic dowel-like T shaped bushing that would possibly fit where a dowel might go and support the cases relationship to the bolt during tightening. I hate having left over parts. Thanks for saving me some grief there too! I'll go with 2 dowels, if I can find one or match it up. Cheers my friend.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.