pontiac 461 w/ edelbrock 1407 carb issue. - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-02-2012, 04:51 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

pontiac 461 w/ edelbrock 1407 carb issue.

my pontiac 461 stroker is just broken in at about 5-6k miles on it. it has an edelbrock performer rpm intake manifold on it and an edelbrock 1407 750cfm carb. my issue is that it will idle really really weak no matter what jets rods or springs i use. the changes all affect the diff rpms and so on. but no affect on idle. also taking a right turn brings about a healthy sounding idle and will raise idle by 800 rpm or so. hitting the brakes has same affect. btw distro is mech advance and brakes are not boosted

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-02-2012, 05:04 PM

Last photo:

also under load accelerating to 5200 rpm it cuts out like it has a rev limiter or something and runs rough for a few seconds while i blip the thottle to keep it afloat and then smooths out. pulling through all three gears to 110 pulls hard no issues as long as i shift at 5100. it just wont idle after a hard pull, and at 5200 motor cuts out and feels like i slamed the brakes
Old 06-02-2012, 07:39 PM
Grumpy Old Goat Herder

Last photo:

My first thought on your engine "cutting out" at 5200 is valve foat. As the valve springs are used, they can loose thier tension over time. If this is the case, I would replace them, or if the springs are not rated for your cam they may be allowing the valves to float. Not something that you want to happen, because if one tags a piston, it could be catastrophic.
Old 06-02-2012, 07:51 PM

Last photo:

Yup

Floatin' the lifters. Besides, at 5,000, your probably over the torque/HP curve anyway. That ain't no Indy engine, ya know...

As for the irregular idle/etc., double check your float height adjustments (in your carb)... Pull it all apart, get a rebuild kit, and follow the directions to the teeeeeee... she'll run just fine.
Old 06-02-2012, 10:27 PM

Last photo:

k, i'll just stay below 5200. ive adjusted the float up and down and dead on. no change, carb is brand new and just the primary side is bigger than the old 1406 i have that never gave me any problems. whole motor is new actualy... my biggest thing is that it responds to right and left turns very diff
Old 06-03-2012, 08:08 PM

What heads? Cam? Exhaust? Who did the work? Is it a 455 bored or a 400 stroked?

750 CFM is not enough for a 461 Pontiac. It needs an 850. The E-carbs aren't usually up to the task, either. Nothing like a good AED Holley... (:- RPM is an okay intake, but usually supplies a "rush" of low-end torque that wreaks havoc on traction. It's "big" enough, though, to rev a 461 to well beyond 6,000. We generally recommend Torker 2. RPM seems a bit better on the 400-based builds. Another advantage RPM brings is the dual flange. If you can "score" a nice Q-Jet from the late '70s, and have it built by a "pro", you'll have the best "street" setup. Hard to beat Q-Jet for a combination of power and drivability. All the late '70s versions are 800 CFM, easily enough for 6,000.

Don't let the Chevy boys here rattle you about revs. They mean well, but haven't been looking while we've been "developing"... The Pontiac is just as capable of revs as any other engine from the muscle car era. It just needs the right combination of components. Now that "real" heads are readily available, it's easy.

FWIW

Jim

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.