pontiac 468 stroker - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-03-2004, 05:13 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

pontiac 468 stroker

can anyone give me any thoughts or information on building a 468 stroker out of a 400 pontiac.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-03-2004, 05:22 PM

Last photo:

All I can say is DO IT. I drove my brothers 69 firebird with the same motor. FRIGGEN SCAREY!! He has about 7grand into the motor but it flies. I took it for a ride and when I came back my brother said my face was white as a ghost. I have rid in some fast cars before but this is by far the fastest. The torque would blow your mind. So I decided I am going to build one but out of a 455 that I have not a 400. Go to the Kauffman Racing website or the Butler performance website. They have some good info on them as well as good kits.
Old 10-03-2004, 05:26 PM
The Smell of Nitro in the morn

Last wiki edit: How to adjust valves Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

You need a 455 block.
Old 10-03-2004, 06:31 PM
pontiac nut

Quote:
You need a 455 block.
No, I believe the stroker kit is taylored for the 400 block. I am currently looking into this setup as well.
Old 10-03-2004, 06:36 PM

yea everything that I have looked at is for the 400 block. I have a 69 firebird. I was considering a chevy small block for some cheap horsepower. But if I just build my motor it will be alot easier. Thanks for the replies. please keep sending them any info helps alot.
Old 10-03-2004, 08:54 PM

Last photo:

smily is right. You dont need a 455 block. 400 blocks can be used. You just need a crank with the mains cut down to 3" from 3.25" It is cheaper to build the 455 but its alot easier to find a 400 than it is to find a 455. Either motor is a stump puller.

69bird, I wouldn't go with a small block unless you really have to. Everyone and their brother has a smallblock chevy. I'm not saying chevy is bad. Don't get me wrong, chevy makes one hell of a motor but you dont have a chevy. You got a pontiac. Go with pontiac power. But this is just my opinon. Do what you like and what makes you happy. Just think of how many chevy's you see compared to pontiacs. I'd say hold out and do the 468, you wont be disappointed.
Old 10-04-2004, 12:26 AM

Last photo:

http://chiefmanyhorses.com/pages/new_products.htm
Old 10-04-2004, 04:42 AM

1BAD80 good to see you back. 69Bird you can get the entire kit from KRP (Kauffman Racing Products) Jim Butler, Pontiac Dude (Ken's Speed and Machine) or Ken (Ace) Brewer at Pacific Performance Racing or SD Performance. All of these have the kits or can build your engine. These kits from Kauffman have a 3 inch main stroker crank (Based on the 455 crank) 6.800 BB Chevy rods and and custom SRP pistons, and also come with the rings and bearings. Also if you have the funds get a set of Kauffmans aluminum D-port heads. I read about the 462 stroker from Kauffmans awhile back and it came out to 462 cubic inches ( I believe that was with a .060 overbore) and made 564 horsepower and compression was at 9.5:1 and will run all day long on pump gas with a hydraulic roller. Either way if you go with your 400 whether you go the stoker route or just want to build it up some I would stay Pontiac in the Bird. I have run 400's for years and the thought never crossed my mind to put a Chevy engine in my GTO, why should I? It would cost alot of money to get the torque out of the Chevy that the Pontiac already has plus I love taking my my stock block 400 and put the fear into some guys in my area that are running 400 small blocks that have had extensive work done to them and I've even posted better times with my 400 than my Club President has with his 71 455 T/A. My .02 worth. Goat
Old 10-04-2004, 07:48 AM
The Smell of Nitro in the morn

Last wiki edit: How to adjust valves Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

Guess I was wrong, After doing more research the kit is for a 467 stroker.
http://gallery.bcentral.com/GID47169...ankshafts.aspx
If you have the $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ then go for it.
Grusome Goat/ BanditT/A has been there and done that so listen to some advice and save some $$, if you want to go big start big.
I run a 427 sbc. 434 not counting the cleanup bore.
If I wanted to go bigger than that I would buy a good block to start with. A rocket small block can be punched out to 504 cubes on pump gas but cost $$$$$$$ to do it.
Old 10-04-2004, 01:42 PM

thats the whole reason I was going to go with the 350 or 383 is the funds. im only 19 and in school. I keep hearing that it is going to cost a lot to build this pontiac stroker motor. but im sure I will be the only one around here that has one. I will talk to a couple of builders around here and get some prices. I already have a set of 6x heads I put 1000 bucks into. and when I tried to out them on all it did was break pushrods. Anyone know where I can get adjustable rocker arms for my 400? Or is there anything else causing them to bend and break?
thanks, eric
Old 10-04-2004, 02:53 PM

Last photo:

So do you plan on building this motor yourself or having a builder do it? Unless you have no idea what you are doing than build it yourself. A stroker kit for your 400 will run you about $1600-1800 dollars according to ponitac dude's website. But the whole kit comes ready to install. I t comes with crank, pistons, rods, moly rings, and bearings. It even comes balanced. Basically put it together and slap it in. You can do this build up for around 3-4grand depending on what you use for parts and what you have for parts already.

What 6X heads do you have, the 4's or the 8's?
Old 10-04-2004, 05:51 PM

I along with Bandit would like to know what 6X heads yu have? Also what ratio rockers are you using? I have turned my 400 over 6200 several times and have never broken a pushrod or broken a rocker arm.
Old 10-04-2004, 08:10 PM

actually I was mistaken. they are 143 heads. the machine shop said they were the same as the 6x. I think I could put the motor together myself. But how much would the machine work to the block cost? would have to be bored and grinded for clearance. I guess I would just have to dummy it up to see about the clearance. im not sure what ratio rocker arms I have. they are the stock arms on a 74 400 out of a catalina.
Old 10-05-2004, 04:04 AM

Is this the code on the center ports of the heads? It sounds to me like these heads have the bottleneck pressed in stud and not an ideal setup to try to make an adjustable valvetrain. This setup only has one way to adjust it, 20 ft lbs with a torque wrench. What type of cam are you trying to run in this engine?
Old 10-05-2004, 09:16 PM

yes it says 143 on the middle one. so if I cant put adjustable rocker arms on these heads that means that the machine shop just let me waste 100 dollars. I hope I can use these. If not I will get the heads that are on the car built. they are 4x heads. But that will be in the futre when I am out of school and properly employed. and from what I hear I am going to have to go with the chevy smallblock if I want to get it back on the road. But the 400 will definately find its way back into the car. right now the car has a very soft knocking sound at above 3000 rpm. so I guess its the end of it. keep the replies coming.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.