Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Pontiac cam?
Thread: Pontiac cam?
View Single Post
Old 11-05-2002, 01:11 AM

Last journal entry: Some pics
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Post Pontiac cam?

Which cam should I go with for my pontiac? Ok let me give a few details. It is a pontiac 400 and will be rebuilt, but I need to start figuring out which parts to buy. SO I was looking at a few pages and decided to pick a cam.

The motor will be mostly stock with some overbore as needed. Heads will not have much work, they are 62 heads which have 72-75 cc combustion chambers. With those small chambers I feel I need a cam on the smaller side for street use to keep the detonation away as much as is possible. Plus to be honest, I am not much of a racer, I just want a decent streetable cam. The car it is going into is a 71 cutlass. So it is not going into a lightweight vehicle.

Edelbrock has one that looks good(the basic performer cam), but I could not get onto the comp cams website to do some comparison shopping. Plus I am also looking at budget here. I don't want to cut corners, but if I can save a few bucks for a comparable product, then of course I would go that way. I know enough to know I don't want a used cam because I wouldn't know what to look for or how to tell it was good. And besides the cam is perhaps the most important part of your motor.