Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - pontiac edelbrock rpm peformers
View Single Post
Old 03-07-2013, 06:01 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Well, it certainly IS different... (:- Interesting refering to the engine as "354". It's true, but it's refered to as "350P" in most parts books. I think Pontiac "down-sized" the rating to not step on toes in other GM divisions by having a "bigger" little engine.

From looking at the pics, they appear to be the "D-port" castings. What is the chamber volume? I know the round-port versions well, but have yet to build the D-port. I've read they have high-swirl chambers, similar to the KRE d-ports. We've built several engines with those. Good heads.

The round-port versions have to have the pushrod holes elongated for 1.65s, so I would imagine CB327 is right, they'll need attention. Be careful as it's real "easy" to over-cam a 350P. The small bore makes the large valves a liability, not an advantage. As said, the bores NEED the chamfer, but even that isn't enough. We've learned 350s "like" the 1.96/1.66 combination, not unlike 389.

Compression is important, so the chamber information is necessary.

Jim