Pontiac Engines at Rolex 24 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-31-2006, 12:04 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Pontiac Engines at Rolex 24

While watching the Rolex 24 hours on TV, a number of the Daytona Prototype cars were running Pontiac engines. I can not find out any specific information on this type engine. I suspect it is a GM/Chevy NASCAR based engine with a sophisticated fuel injection setup but I am not sure. Is the fact that this race is held at Daytona and the sanctioning organization rules are "approved" by NASCAR for road racing series at their tracks that allow this engine to be run. Could this be something that NASCAR is evaluating that would be used in place of the present carburetors if they decide to change. Any information. Just curious.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-31-2006, 12:33 PM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

here is a link

To basic specs Of Daytona prototype cars..they are purpose built race cars with production based engines..Several different engines are used..I suspect the Pontiacs use a version of the SBC

OMT
Old 01-31-2006, 04:49 PM

I'm 90% sure that its a 5 litre version of the C5R's LS1 427, I remember reading that somewhere
Old 01-31-2006, 07:52 PM

Last photo:

http://www.stewartcomponents.com/cgi...002/000230.htm

Looks like an honest to goodness hotrodded production engine in there. Plastic manifold and all.

Larry
Old 03-14-2006, 10:49 PM

pontiac

Oficially the last pontiac v8 rolled out in November 1978. The iron duke has been in every thing, by several names, chances are no. Iron duke is the tech 4, plus other names I don't remember, Used in S10- S20 trucks , calais, fords, Izuzs, and more. That only leaves 6 cyls. I don't know.
Old 03-15-2006, 07:07 AM

Last photo:

While I was attending the Daytona 500 this year, I went to the manufacturers display areas and they had last years Rolex Reily/Pontiac winner on display. I was able to look into the engine compartment and the engine looked like a SBC with Pontiac valve covers on it. It had the plastic intake manifold with multi port injection and the ignition coils on the valve covers. It looked outwardly like a stock SBC engine. There was no one technical there who could answer my engine questions. Over at the Chevy display that had an engine used in the Corvette (C6R ?) road racing car. They listed the specs for it. It was an all alum engine with a bore/stroke combination that gave it 427cuin. The only difference was that its fuel injection manifold looked like an old Hilborn unit. It had throttle bodies for each cylinder with multi port injection and had its ignition coils on the valve covers. Otherwise the 2 engines looked identical. Based on these engines I think fuel injection could be used and regulated by NASCAR if they wish to do so.
Old 03-15-2006, 02:46 PM

Last photo:

Did it look like this one?

Larry
Old 03-15-2006, 03:38 PM

Last photo:

That's what it looked like only the rear deck was in place but I could see most of the engine.
Old 03-16-2006, 05:34 PM

to many holes

H___no. Not unless each tunnel is alternatively intake-exhaust,etc. A blow up lost detail. looks cool-Iam 55 and got old a little while. Any way you go, and all others I ain't forgetting 426 hemi's and 427 or even 351 Clevands, mor sbc have been are out there than anything else,if something didn't happen while I was playing RIP VANWINKLE. I want a 4 cyl, DID I pick the wrong engine. I am looking at more than torque and HP. Can I get parts for in 10 years, Can I make Parts?. I am looking for a 4 cyl engine, that is dependable. My state does an inspection, But not a emission check. We can play with cam, timing, air/fuel ratio , etc. Bodies, frames, you name it. I am not stupid,but I have been at a light where Youshould wait on traffic, not turn the wheel all the way, and pop the clutch at 6000. I was looking at a MG T car on VW floor pan. Salvage the fiber glass, and get out the welder. Educate me, on 4 bangers.
Old 03-16-2006, 06:28 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabbyp
That's what it looked like only the rear deck was in place but I could see most of the engine.

That's the LS series engine in that picture. I thought that might be what you saw and mistaken for an original style small block.

Larry
Old 03-17-2006, 05:53 AM

Last photo:

Coldnock
You are correct. I use SBC as a generic term for all versions of the new LS engines as well as the original style engines. Sometimes old habits and thoughts are hard to change. Thanks.
Old 03-17-2006, 08:45 PM

dinosaur

I quit when the big engines went out. Bought someextras, Icould use a 455. But I am looking for a 4 cylinder. Was all the hype about the iron duke capability wrong. It do that well out of the factory, but it was supposed to be ready aftermarket. What is the rod length, and stroke, all the manuals, handy are to old. Any Ford fans- I have a friends branco 2 We want to fix and sell. I have refused to learn anything about fords- paids 20 bucks for a book.Last Ford I took apart was the straight 6 that had oil probems. ma

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.