Pontiac front springs - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-05-2001, 11:43 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Cool Pontiac front springs

I would like to lower the front of my 65 tempest about 2-3inches from stock position. I replaced the frt springs about 6 years ago with GTO (with AC) Springs because the originals were totally shot. I kept thinkin it would settle some more but I am about to rebuild the frt end and add disk brakes so now it the time to get the rake of the car the way I want it. The coils are in good shape so I dont know whether to cut those or replace them. any experience shared appreciated

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-06-2001, 03:35 AM

I have never done this but know a few who have...and I don't think I ever will...There are some out there who like the lowered look and I have ridden in the cars after and there was no apparent damage. What they did was with a torch heat up the upper coils allowing them to collapse a bit they put the car on level ground and placed blocks under the lower A frame mounts to limit the travel and get equal hight heated the cooled(not quenched)the upper coils this allows the car to settle on the blocks thus lowering it. Remember this "heat created the springs heat will destroy them" only do the uppermost coil this will allow the rest of the spring to spring
Old 12-06-2001, 09:05 AM

sounds scary to me...I just want a little rake to the overall stance of the car, definately not a low rider look..but the car sits level now...I am looking for more of a pro street/stock stance much like the pro gto in dec 2001 popular hot rodding
thanxx
rob
Old 12-06-2001, 06:47 PM

If the car sits level this is good,it means good weight transfer,think of the car sitting on a point near the rear of the front seat(mid car)and balenced there,now if the rear end is higher than the front in order to apply max force to the rear wheels first the front wheels would have to be lifted, this takes time and horsepower,if the front wheels are even with the rear weight transfer will be instant and force at optimum, if the fronts are higher than the rear the weight is already transfered and traction will be soggy because no force will be available.I'd say keep it where it is. Do you want performance or cosmetics?
Old 12-07-2001, 04:50 PM
Toy builder

Last photo:

To lower the frontend dont take a torch to the springs thats pure hacker work and dangerous. When you have the springs out take a diecutter and remove about 1/2 coil at a time and put it back together. See if thats what you want . If not you can take another 1/2 coil off. When your all done take it to a REAL alignment shop cause you will have changed the castor,camber,and toe out. General rule of thumb make sure the lower a-frames are level to the ground. If the ball joint is higher than the inner bolts on the a-frames you will get some evil bump steer and odd angles on balljoints(they can fail)DONT DO THAT. Now remember the shorter you make the coil the higher its rate will be.The more you cut off it the stiffer it will ride.So for you guys that have stuff that rides like a truck you need to go to a smaller dia (wire) coil before cutting. Or the other way if its to soft.Cutting springs is a normal practice to set a cars ride height.Just about ever coil sprung car that leaves the shop needs some tweakin to get that just right look and geometry. If its to high you can also get some weird bump steer problems too.
Old 12-07-2001, 04:59 PM
Toy builder

Last photo:

Your thinking on weight tranfer is a little off.There is NO weight tranfer in a car(thats hot rod mag crap) .The only way to tranfer weight in a car is to cut it off and weld it on in another spot. What you are thinking is tire load.To load the tires more(and with a drag car you want the rears loaded) You need the chassis to get up and unload the front tires(most people call it weight tranfer but the weight is still were it allways was just load on the tire contact patches diff) Shocks and spring really do the whole deal of loading tires .Tom did you ever go to riverside park circle track races????
Old 12-08-2001, 05:53 AM

I'm an old guy and we called it weight transfer and yes I know you are not accually transfering the weight but uplift and down force is and if you weighted the car front and rear at the time of launch the rear would be much heavier.I agree that a car with a high tite front end will cause handling difficulties and a car with its butt in the air will also.So lets say if you can slide under the car without a jack watch your corners.Then concider this almost all 60s performance cars were given an "excellant staight line performance" rating and really wern't ment to go around corners fast
Old 12-09-2001, 09:06 AM
Toy builder

Last photo:

Tom i am an old guy too.LOL I just thought it was of interest. Some guys really think that its moving weight. I agree most 60's stuff didnt turn as good as a new dump truck does now a days. LOL But it can be fixed .60's stuff had good piece's that just needed to moved around a little. Learned a lot about that at that little race track in your home town(spent many saturday nites there)
now gone.
Old 12-01-2002, 08:18 AM

cutting front springs , they used to do this back when my brothers used to chop their rides. my 67 merc caliente springs are choped ,but not by me .i dont like it .it drives bad at high speeds. i am looking for stock springs for this baby. if you want cut springs check in to professionaly lowering springs . dont remember were the sight is but its on the net.thanks- phill
Old 12-01-2002, 03:32 PM

I cut one ring off of my 56' chevy and the ride was great. It dropped about 2 inches.I did at the same time add a sway bar and very good Koni shocks. You could throw that baby into a curve.....WOW.....sorry, I'm back now. That being said, the only true and correct way is to install dropped spindles. If you cut yours do as Phat said and get the car aligned again. I cut mine with a cut off wheel.

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.