Pontiac GTO commercial street racing - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-21-2004, 02:51 PM
Chopper Builder o<>\o

Last journal entry: Dash Removal
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Pontiac GTO commercial street racing

what's up with the commercial of the new Pontiac GTO waiting at a green light with no one next to him and then the light turns green and the GTO waits and then the light turns red and a sports car pulls up next to it and the light turns green again. Then you hear the sounds of cars racing away from the light.
Also the Dodge 340hp station wagon that races around another sports car.

It seems to me the manufactures want their customers endangering peoples lives. If i get into an accident with a new pontiac GTO that was speeding i should sue the company for encouraging that sort of behaviour. Maybe i'll make a copy of the commercial just in case.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-21-2004, 03:00 PM
Tazz

Last photo:

You got that right

Might not do any good but you could complain to the dealers about the Add. We know street racing is dangerous. We know people get killer street racing. They want ot sell their hopped up car and pass it off as a late model muscle car, which its not. Some of the Jap and Euro crap have 300hp+ so this is just and attempt at cashing in on the old immage.

Tazz

Rat Rods Rule!
Old 07-21-2004, 03:02 PM
E.T. divided by $ spent= Speed

Last photo:

If you could make more money for your buissness(millions) by indirectly promoting something illegal and get away with it,you wouildn't??
In all if you buy a GTO you know street racing is illegal.The resposability lies with the drivers actions.
Sueing the company,in that mind should edelbrock or Hooker etc... be sued next time a street rod gets in an accident,being as they were equiped w/ performance parts...thats promoting street racing too??
In this land of sue happy people we forget that responsibility lies in the individual persons actions.McDonalds made me FAT.......no sitting on the couch stuffing your face did.
Remember everytime you tell one person,company etc... its illegal to do something that opens up a whole other can of worms worth of other rights that are now indangered.Pontiac gets sued over the commercial next thing you know your street rod is illegal cause the government deems it a hazard.

Last edited by 78 monte; 07-21-2004 at 03:09 PM.
Old 07-21-2004, 03:29 PM
Chopper Builder o<>\o

Last photo:

I was just theorizing the possibilities. The main issue is encouraging illegal behavior that is dangerous. I young teenager becomes tempted to buy the next fast ride so he can smoke the competition on the street but instead ends up side swiping a car coming away from the curb.

To show I like GTO's i was looking at this site. Cool stunt videos of the GTO.

Pontiac Stuntmen

Last edited by fourbyfourblazer; 07-21-2004 at 03:29 PM.
Old 07-21-2004, 03:37 PM

Last journal entry: better comparison before and after shots
Last photo:

the "do as i say not as i do" mentality is fn sickening.
Old 07-21-2004, 04:58 PM
current hot rod: CTS-V

Last journal entry: Lets Get Started With the Improvements
Last photo:

I like the GTO commercial, it's cool. If you're impressionable enough to go street racing after seeing only a commercial then the commercial will least of your problems. The Dodge commercial is lame, that Lotus should have toasted the Dodge.
Old 07-21-2004, 05:14 PM

I love the new GTO. not up there with the original but if i was rich and had $32 grand laying around i would go buy one, they have a fair amount of HP for a new car.

As for the commercial, blaming Pontiac for street racing is as stupid as blaming McDonalds for your extra 50lbs of weight.

People have minds of their own.
Old 07-21-2004, 05:47 PM
Chopper Builder o<>\o

Last photo:

The car that was racing the dodge magnum apparently was a Fiero with a body kit.

This is a link of the Fiero .

PETA complained they dont want Dodge using great apes in their commercials. Monkey See, Monkey Do! lol

Last edited by fourbyfourblazer; 07-21-2004 at 05:47 PM.
Old 07-21-2004, 08:55 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Carburetor
Last journal entry: Clean up
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

They should make another commercial where my bird pulls up next to that grand-prix on steroids and the GTO puts on its left blinker.

lol, i hate those cars, they look like they were made in japan.

K
Old 07-21-2004, 10:39 PM
Clueless Teenager

Last journal entry: Misc.
Last photo:

WWWOOOO-HHHOOOO, Finally, Someone besides me thinks the new GTO sucks *****! You can't say that I dislike GTO's because the new "GTO" isn't really a GTO, it's a Holden Monero that was made in Australia (Holden is Australia's Pontiac) and they changed a couple of things on it and brought it here. But, anyways, you can't say I dislike GTO's because my dream car is a 1969 Pontiac GTO "The Judge" just like my dad had when he was a kid. Oh, and by the way, back then (1969), they used a real engine (Pontiac 400ci) instead of a down-toned chevrolet 350ci corvette engine piece of *****!
Old 07-22-2004, 12:26 AM

For what these new ones cost you could buy a couple of
real ones.
Old 07-22-2004, 01:18 AM

Last photo:

I think the new GTO is a cool car. Who can complain about a rear wheel drive sedan with the corvette engine and a 6 speed manual transmission? That is a pretty stout engine. If you want to compare performance, the new gto is way faster. 1968 gto 1/4 was 14.80 @96 mph; 2004 gto 1/4 is 13.62 @104 mph. I got this from: http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...to/index2.html

Don't get me wrong, I like the old goats too; but this is a decent new model of a car that hasn't been around in a long time. It's fast; wasn't that the point? I don't think everything needs to be retro styled. The retros can be pretty cool, but it's not a prerequisite.
dh
Old 07-22-2004, 05:16 AM
Kenneth Howard hates me...

Last journal entry: Engine mock up
Last photo:

an LS1-derived 5.7-liter V8 rated at 350 horsepower and 365 pound-feet of torque.

Thats off the factory floor, throw some "hop up" parts on it and it would knock a Judge right off the bench......

C
Old 07-22-2004, 06:17 AM

Last wiki edit: Mopar tapered axle rear brake conversion
Last journal entry: What I'm doing now...
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 49

Quote:
Originally posted by SkyMan9600
WWWOOOO-HHHOOOO, Finally, Someone besides me thinks the new GTO sucks *****! You can't say that I dislike GTO's because the new "GTO" isn't really a GTO, it's a Holden Monero that was made in Australia (Holden is Australia's Pontiac) and they changed a couple of things on it and brought it here.
They can dress it up all they want, but it's still an import which means there is no way it's an American Muscle Car!

Centerline
Old 07-22-2004, 01:05 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally posted by Centerline
They can dress it up all they want, but it's still an import which means there is no way it's an American Muscle Car!

Centerline
It's made in australia using american parts and american technology. So yeah, technically it's an import, but it's still different from any car built in japan. Heck, how many "american muscle cars" were actually built in Canada? They're not considered imports.

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.