For the pontiac guys - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-24-2008, 06:26 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

For the pontiac guys

what do your engines have in them for performance? what manufactuers parts do you use? what does it take to pump out some horse power from a pontiac? I have a 350 and i would like to purchase some new heads. the only heads i found were from edelbrock i believe there the performer rpm. my car has brand new valve springs and valves wold i beable to swap them to the other heads? i have a comp cam it has a lift of .462 intake and exhaust is .470 and my duration is 218 and 224 exhaust. i want to switch to a roller cam that will suite a supercharger...which would you recomend. Is there any problems with installing a roller cam. what about pistons and rods? any lenght in rod thats good. i belive i heard 5.7 inch gives better piston slecetion. and pistons.. what kind.... Any performance info would be great.. i plan on using for street mostly weekend runner and maybe later on some track...oh also transmission and rear end set ups? what do you got? any responders would be great. thanks mark

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-24-2008, 07:45 PM

Last photo:

My 463 Pontiac Dynoed @ 550 HP and 570 lb/ft TQ...and it was a Street engine that turned LOW 11's...FWIW
Old 08-24-2008, 10:53 PM
Grumpy Old Goat Herder

Last photo:

quote: what about pistons and rods? any lenght in rod thats good. i belive i heard 5.7 inch gives better piston slecetion.

If that is a 350 Pontiac, it has 6.625" rods in it. 5.7" is a stock small block chevy demention. If you want a killer 350 Pontiac, get in touch with Ken (Ace) Brewer at Pacific Performance Racing, in California. http://www.pacificperformanceracing.com/about-us.html

Old 08-25-2008, 06:42 PM

Last photo:

http://www.krepower.com/dport.htm

They have other stuff, too.
Old 08-25-2008, 09:25 PM

Last photo:

thnaks for the info...has any one heard of rock and roll engineering{bruce}..ive been to his website and he does amzing things with stock stuff and he said hed port my heads when i get them..wondering if any one has ever heard of him? thanks mark
Old 08-26-2008, 10:51 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77formulabandit
thnaks for the info...has any one heard of rock and roll engineering{bruce}..ive been to his website and he does amzing things with stock stuff and he said hed port my heads when i get them..wondering if any one has ever heard of him? thanks mark
I've heard of RnR Engineering . . . and none of it has been good. If you go to some of the Pontiac-specific boards, you'll be able to find many discussions about them - sites like Performance Years or Classical Pontiac are two that I check out from time to time (I've got a '78 T/A and was constantly using those sites for information, help and pointers a couple years ago).
Old 08-26-2008, 10:55 AM

Last photo:

Bruce Fulper? Run the other way and don't look back.
There is a good 350 build up in some of the later issues of High Performance Pontiac. If you're on the east coast, look up Paul Spotts http://www.spottsperformance.com/ , Ken Keefer http://www.angelfire.com/fl4/pontiac...chineshop.html or Mr Pbody at http://www.centralvirginiamachine.com/. All hard core Pontiac engine builders.

Last edited by David Jones; 08-26-2008 at 11:04 AM.
Old 08-26-2008, 11:09 AM

Last photo:

ahh i thought there was something about bruce..it didnt feel right talking to him about stuff... he seemed like he thought he was superior to every one ahahah..but ill look into the builders on the east coast... thanks mark
Old 08-26-2008, 11:44 AM

Last photo:

thanks gain for the wbsites im findong so much info now...ive been searching for websites for pontiacs in my era..thnaks again mark.
Old 08-26-2008, 11:50 AM

Last photo:

http://www.pontiacstreetperformance.com/ along with the Performance Years and Classical websites listed above are vintage Pontiac only websites and full of good info and good people.
Old 08-26-2008, 12:32 PM

Last journal entry: Free tires
Last photo:

If you plan on a Supercharger and E heads then ditch the 350, to much work to make big valve heads work on it. The bore is to small.
Much easier to start with a 400 block. Stroker kits are available for about any configuration you want, even the 350 since the main journal is the same as the 400, but to just build the top end of a 350 Pontiac is pointless I'm sorry to say and Piston selection is limited for the 350. If you get a stroker crank you can get it with Chevy sized journals which opens up many Rod-stroke ratios. Pistons using the chevy rods are available for 400-455 but not for the 350, customs don't cost to much more though, but for a blower I'd consider a better starting point.
It's a good engine but limited what you can do because of the small bore. Forged bottom end parts makes them near bullet proof though. I'm running one in a new Road Race car because of class cu in limits. But I have a 433 stroker based off a 400 block in my other car. Big valve heads, hydraulic roller, tons of torque. A mild Pontiac build will have much more torque than most built chevy's. They just don't wind up as high.

Ace knows how to build a hot 350, as does Butler. KRE makes good heads but if you're going to DIY it then buy the KRE heads from SD Performance as they prep them better. Don't even think about big valve heads and a big cam on a 350 unless you know engine work well.
It takes some time to learn the nuances of parts swapping in a Pontiac, but it's worth it.
You got some good links to check, you'll learn a lot from them.
Old 08-26-2008, 06:23 PM

Last photo:

i know that the 350 of the pontiac family is left out and thats why i want to build it...i see peple always have the 455s and the 400s but not to many people use the 350.. that may be because of what you were talking about..small bore. but its different and its what i have to work with.. very good explanation though and very convincing. thanks mark
Old 08-26-2008, 09:09 PM
Grumpy Old Goat Herder

Last photo:

All of the Pontiac engine builders mentioned, previously, are excellent engine builders, and know how to build and set up a Pontiac. I'll give you a link to Jim Butlers website. All you have to do is make a decision of who to use.

http://jbp-pontiac.com/

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.