Hot Rod Forum banner

Pontiac Head Gaskets

5K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  LATECH 
#1 ·
I am researching complete gasket sets for my build. I am ready to order the stuff to finish it up.
I would like to purchase a full gasket set (Fel Pro) for my 389(400) with 72 model year heads.
Head gaskets are the critical part here. I need the Q 1016 or the Q1018 gaskets in the engine set .
Reason being ...the 1016 has a compressed thickness of .039 and the 1018 has a compressed thickness of .041.
My block is decked to .005. quench will be .044 with the 1016 and .046 with the 1018.
My question is....which Fel Pro engine set contains these ?
The Fel Pro set Q -2806 is a complete set with correct intake set for my build, but does it have either head gasket I listed above?
Pontiac guys...time to chime in here. Thank you. :)

#3 ·
Lynn,

Don't waste your time (or money) on Felpro "Performance" gaskets. The stock gasket for the Pontiac from Felpro is "good" to at least 11:1. 1016s are WASTE OF MONEY (IMO).

If you want the right "set", use Victor/Reinz # 95-3398. That has the correct intake set for the '72 heads.

If your heads have been ported, and the opening enlarged to Ram Air IV size, use Flepro Performance # 1233. Also, if the head bolt 'hole" has been exposed during porting (not uncommon, like certain small block heads), none of the Felpro head gaskets will work. They have a "relief" around the head bolts to allow oiling of the rockers in the "old style" system (before Pontiac used the pushrods like Chevy, to lube the rockers). A HORRENDOUS vacuum leak right into the crankcase will exist... Killed every mosquito within 10 miles before we figured that one out... :)-

While Felpro is considered by many as "the best", that's debatable. We have used the Victor/Reinz sets for many years, having no issues with them. They "look" much more correct. Even with Edelbrock heads on engines making more than 600 HP (pump gas "street"), the "stock" Victor gaskets have been fine.

The 1016 gaskets come in the Felpro Performance "full set" (#2806). We seldom use this set, as it comes with an "odd" combination between "early" and "late", and Ram Air and non-Ram Air...

Don't forget the BOP 1-piece pan gasket and the GraphTite or Viton rear main seal!

FWIW

Jim

#4 ·
Thank you Jim.
Does the VR set head gaskets compress to .039
I have spent a bunch of time getting the deck height set to .005 and my heads ported (mild) and the chambers to the correct size to take advantage of the little bit of quench pad the heads have to offer.
Trying to keep it at .045 or a tad less.

#5 ·
Lynn,

Yes, or "thereabouts". Most factory head gaskets (regardlessof "factory") use head gaskets on V8s that compress to 1 mm (.0394"). This has been common practice since the '50s in American V8s. Of course, there are variations, but not many. None that I know of with the Pontiac. There are .012" gaskets for SBC that I know of (for example, "shim").

Good conversation last evening!

Jim

#6 ·
It was real good talking with you Jim.
I just ordered a crane cams H-272-2 cam , after months of head scratching, number crunching, mind numbing , eye crossing thinking about it all. :drunk: :confused: :smash: :pain: :boxing: :mad: ......:D LOL
Viton rear seal is allready in the assembled short block.

Crane Part # 283942
216/226 @ .050
272/284 ad Dur.
Lift 454. in - .480 ex. with 1.5 RR

Going in (389) 400 poncho 4.12 bore
Block decked /checked milled to .005 height , verified
Forged TRW pistons (NOS)
Moly rings
5140 rods
Balance complete assembly
7H1 heads shaved .045 to get 82 CC chambers
Light porting, bowl cleanup,De flashed, 3 angle valve job,
Eyebrow removed from exhaust side of chambers (enhance blow down)
7/16 rocker studs installed
1.96 intake valves
1.77 valves installed (exhaust)
Crank cleaned up nicely , stock, polished
I will be running a P4B intake with a quadrajet, I will be reworking the Q jet to keep it well fed.
Using the stock 65 389 dizzy, will be curving it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.