Pontiac headers - opinions wanted - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-29-2003, 09:34 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Pontiac headers - opinions wanted

I purchased a set of Hooker competition ceramic coated headers a while back, with limited possibilities. Dynomax and Hedman were the other choices I found. I know Hooker has been around awhile, so I went with them, which were about the same price as the Hedman ceramic coated. I have no welding experience, so I took the headers and my 70 goat to a local engine/performance shop that I trust very much, and they wouldn't install them. They told me they aren't reliable enough, and if the headers warped or started leaking exhaust, they didn't want to be responsible for fixing it. How serious should I take this risk? Should I ebay these things and go for the Hedman's? Any others suggestions...

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-29-2003, 09:49 AM
Not Considered a Senior Member

Last photo:

To tell another side, I delt with Hedman Via a customer last year, the headers got here, the passenger side fit right in perfectly, the drivers side did not, it was made wrong, the flange would sit flush at the bottom of the port, the top of the flange was still over a half inch away, it sat on the port with a "V" shape to it, so he sent them back to Hedman, they sent them back and said "we couldn`t find anything wrong with them" of course not, they bolted them to a engine on the Dyno likely. I took them to a friend of mine who was also building his car with the same body style, same problem. so I gave them back and we used the stock manifolds for the time being. I was also not impressed with the headers, the paint was poorly done, it was obvious it was done quickly and they missed a few spots, the welds looked terrible like they too had been rushed. I haven`t heard any horror stories on Hookers, we ran them on a Vega years ago, these were the slip together type, and they served us well.
Old 09-29-2003, 10:37 AM

try dougs headers they have a very good fit and seal
Old 09-29-2003, 10:59 AM

Last photo:

i use hooker comp headers on my 400 T/A. work well and had no leaks so far (as long as you tighten the bolts after the first 4 warm up cycles when they are new) once the leak starts the gasket is usually toast. they fit best. i had hedman and the didnt fit well at all. go with hooker. the only problem i had was the clutch linkage hit one of the tubes. but i modified it and they work great. hope this helps. Good luck!
Old 09-30-2003, 08:41 AM
Tire Fryer

Last photo:

Agreed - Doug's Headers are the best. I wish I had a set. I am running Coated Hooker Super Comps on my 65 and they hit in a couple of spots and are a bear to install. The bolts at the head are particularly hard to tighten. I removed all the un-needed flange material between exhaust ports before coating them at Airborn Coatings to make it easier to get at the bolts.

Get Doug's

http://www.dougsheaders.com/

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.