pontiac HEI issues - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-05-2003, 10:18 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Post pontiac HEI issues

I have tried 3 different HEI's in my 75' 400. The wire going in will constantly go dead for a while then go hot again but I still get no spark. It starts out with spark and with in 5 min of setting timing the spark stops. I have tried running a hot wire to the bat. side of the HEI, it worked for a while then stoped working when the hot wire stoped the original wire worked again. Im going nuts, I had it working for a few weeks and my tranny was bad so I let it sit while I found another one, All in its self that would have been fine but to make sure it wasnt my distributor that was bad I was borrowing one and I had to give it back . The cap is off my camaro's HEI and I know it works, It was on the Pontiac while it was working, It makes a strange sound like arcing I cant tell where the sound comes from but it only makes the sound when its giving me problems. If I cant figure this one out I might go to points. any info would be helpful thanks in advance. P.S. The car it is in is a '77 lemans It had a 301 stock and when I got it it had a 350. Dont know how good any wiring is yet.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-06-2003, 06:04 AM

Last photo:

Its hard to understand all the things you say you are trying. Have you tried 3 different distributors or just the cap portion?

Run 12 volts straight off battery to power the distributor and see if it acts up.
Could be a bad wire on pick-up giving an intermittent problem.
Could be a bad plug wire causing spark to find ground where ever it can, ohm check the wires.
Check for tiny burn holes in cap and look at rotor just below the center metal tang.

One change at a time youll get it.

[ April 06, 2003: Message edited by: Greg Latvala ]</p>
Old 04-06-2003, 06:20 AM
Rooster

I'm betting your problem is the little black bannana shaped modulator that has wires plugged into both ends of it (I forget the correct technical name for it). it's under your cap and held in place by two little screws. if you ever have turned your engine over with two or more plug wires off you have burnt it up. they also go out over time. this little thing can drive you nuts because often it will work enough to make the engine run, just not well, or it will let the engine start sometimes and not others. change this and I bet you solve your problem.
Old 04-17-2003, 09:31 AM

Sounds like the HEI ignition Module.....like BigWildGrin said. Did you remember to replace the risistance wire from the fuse block to the + terminal on the side of the HEI cap? That needs to be replaced with a 10 guage (i think) copper wire so you get a full 12 volts to the coil. Anyway, replace the HEI module it's cheap insurance.
Old 04-17-2003, 12:15 PM

if you ever have turned your engine over with two or more plug wires off you have burnt it up

I did not know the HEI ignition was this fragile.

So On these newer vehicles, does this statement apply, if I was to take TWO wires off the plugs on my 2002 Ford Focus, would my Igintion system be damaged? I've
Learned somthing new.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.