Hot Rod Forum banner

Pontiac Pontiac Ponchiac

2K views 25 replies 10 participants last post by  66GMC 
#1 ·
Ponchiac's are the only engine people should use, Ponchiac's are the fastest cars, Ponchiac's can never be beat, Ponchiac's will Live forever. Ponchiac, Ponchiac, Ponchiac!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=te-aK5Ny68Y

#2 ·
1) Too bad Gm didn't agree. Or rather the obama administration doesn't agree. i will never forgive this administration for this.

2) i agree that they are good engines, but i feel the sbc is still better. Apparently gm does agree as well. To your credit, the sbc did take the stamped rocker design from pontiac.

#7 · (Edited)
1) Too bad Gm didn't agree. Or rather the obama administration doesn't agree. i will never forgive this administration for this.
As a Canadian ... I need someone to explain how Pontiac's demise could be pinned on the US president. :confused:

As a Pontiac owner / fan I couldn't quite understand why GM shelved the Pontiac and kept the fugly Buick?:confused::rolleyes:

OK, OK... I have to concede that the 3.8 engine IS a Buick engine.:embarrass
(Keep the engine, continue to put it in a Pontiac wrapper.)

#8 ·
Well, the obama admistration (who, by the way, know nothing about cars) set up a "car czar"----basically a 28 year old kid who also knows nothing about cars. Typical modern "management."

In return for loaning all that money to them, the administration made gm agree to "cut excess brands" (even though pontiac sold 3rd behind chevy and gmc)(???) because neither our government or gm know what the hell they are doing. Don't act real smug either because i think Steven Harper is too young. But i digress.

So, that's how pontiac got axed----prematurely. The loan has been paid back. If pontiac was still around, this would not be a detriment to gm and, if anything, would be very helpful.

Our society is dying.

P.s. The reason why buick was kept was due to pure stupidity. And the fact that they were and are on fire in China.

#9 · (Edited)
Buicks were real popular among the blue haired crowd and sold well to that crowd.
GM had allways pushed the red haired step child (pontiac) aside from chevrolet , who allway wanted to be the performance leader in GM as is, but only because Gm s reps were told to keep the pontiac in the background. GM was real unhappy with Jim Wangers when he put a 421 in a 64 rebadged lemans an called it a GTO. Told the public it was a 389. LOL
The public got the 389 version which was no slouch, but wangers had the black ops 421 heehee.:nono:
Pissed chevy off. The pontiac banshee was also killed because GM played favorites, and chevy was there little darlin. Sickening huh.:eek:
GM bought Hummer and some saab, both poor moves IMHO. They allready had 2 great trucks chevy and GMC , at the time they did all that gas prices went up, and hummer sales were anemic.
With all that bad business making, and the power/wage hungry unions, and scandolous Enron type management...its a wonder that GM lasted this long. Everyone in america has stock in GM now as your tax dollars paid for all the poor business decisions and all the white collar rip off artists who made out. Funny thing, I havent recieved my stock certificate yet. Hmmm

#10 ·
as much as I love pontiac.. and it's my fav. g.m. brand..
it always since I've been able to drive, a badge engineered brand..
other than the fiero.. and the end of the line cars, solice/gto/g8.. anything pontiac had, chevy/buick/olds had..
pontiac also stepped on toes time and again..
the 73-74 s/d t/a's , the mid 80's firehawk, the 2+2 that got the v8 instead of the v6 they wanted..
the 89 turbo t/a
the fiero most notablly the 88gt
the new gto when chevy had zero rear drive cars but the vette.
the g8 that chevy didn't want but didn't want pontiac to have either..

and the 421 s/d of the 60's and ofcourse the mighty gto
the 60's tri power that became a vette only piece after pontiac smoked tem..
same with the mfi,

buick lives on.. because of over seas and it's easier to change a buick into a youngermans car ,new regal anyone!!!!!. than take the pontiac line and retool to sell to the older folk..

#15 ·
what 265
the 1955-56 one..
I don't remember pontiac ever having a 265 in the late 70's 80's..
only g.m engines V8's about that size was olds 260 and chevy 262
buick 350 was long dead by then..like the 400 pontiac..
the olds 403 lived on..
please more info on this pontiac 265

#16 ·

Can you imagine, living in a small town in Canada, owning a 326 1967 Firebird and no Pontiac dealership for many miles. All Canadian Pontiacs (Except Firebird and GTO had the Chevy engine line up). When I told people I had a 326 they told me I was wrong, it had to be a 327. The hood badging said 326, people had never heard of it before. Parts, impossible, The only 326 to ever hit Canada was in the 67 Firebird), even Pontiac dealers wouldn't stock 326 unique engine parts. Lots of nightmares at the start, but, more fun towards the end. Since then, (early 70's) I've owned many Pontiac products and remain a loyal fan.

#24 ·
Can you imagine, living in a small town in Canada, owning a 326 1967 Firebird and no Pontiac dealership for many miles. All Canadian Pontiacs (Except Firebird and GTO had the Chevy engine line up). When I told people I had a 326 they told me I was wrong, it had to be a 327. The hood badging said 326, people had never heard of it before. Parts, impossible, The only 326 to ever hit Canada was in the 67 Firebird), even Pontiac dealers wouldn't stock 326 unique engine parts. Lots of nightmares at the start, but, more fun towards the end. Since then, (early 70's) I've owned many Pontiac products and remain a loyal fan.
No i can't. And truthfully everytime i would visit my cousins i would want to leave (maybe it was just a quebec thing....) no offense intended.

So how did you get parts?

#21 ·
My Father had a 1972 Pontiac Grand Prix with the 400 in it. He always talk about how fast that car was.....Now I have a 1970 Pontiac with a 455 bored 30 over.....I cant wait to take him for a ride!!!Damn right pontiac power... I bought the GP without a engine and my cousin was telling me to put a 350 chevy in it SMDH! Now he just bought a 455 olds to drop in his 1972 Cutlass S 442.:welcome::D

Attachments

#25 ·
Cousins in Quebec

I hope it's a Quebec thing, I now live about 5 miles away from Quebec and the feeling is mutual. If you don't speak French (and I don't) don't bother going there.

As to how I got my parts, well, at the time I owned the Firebird I was living in a small town in southern Manitoba, about 14 miles from the U S border. I'd drive to North Dakota and pick up everything I needed. It was handy and a lot faster.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.