pontiac stock exhausts the Bomb or Poop? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-17-2003, 04:55 PM
NEVER use credit cards!

Last journal entry: car with tt2's, (stockers going back on)
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

pontiac stock exhausts the Bomb or Poop?

some pretty smart cookies at the poncho site think there isnt much improvement on stock poncho parts. for the intakes this is true. they are pretty damned good. a performer doesnt improve much on them. there are also some DAMN good stock exhausts that almost look like headers. if i had them i would not look for headers. but mine look like the ususal crappy chevy ones: like an E laying on it's back. i cant believe i wouldnt feel hellacious improvement from replacing them, but there are a few who are telling me to leave them on after i put in a mild cam ( a summit 2800) and an aluminum intake. anybody know for sure if headers are worth the effort? a bud of mine just put thorleys, performer and a 4bbl on his 2bbl 326 (like mine) and said he was surprised how little it did for his boat.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-17-2003, 05:36 PM
STUPID is as STUPID does...

Last wiki edit: Crankshaft Coalition Wiki Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

The restricting factor here is the cylinder heads... The small valves just don't lend themselves to any good breathing and increasing the flow on either side doesn't help.
I know for a fact that a good set of heads will do more for power then any intake or exhaust will do up to that point and, until you get the motor to breath, your just wasting your time and money.
Mark
Old 11-17-2003, 07:58 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Pontiac engines have really restrictive exhaust ports. Believe me, as I have ported several sets of Pontiac heads, and they have an unbelievably bad exhaust port. If you will notice, most good Pontiac cams have considerably longer duration on the exhaust side. The intake port is a pretty good piece, and lends itself quite nicely to making a 250+ CFM of airflow, but getting the exhaust to flow 80 percent of intake is not an easy task. So, anything to improve breathing on the exhaust side of a Poncho is a real benefit, like good, four tube headers. I'll send some pics of a set of 6x-4s I'm doing right now just to show how rough the exhaust ports are from the factory.
Old 11-17-2003, 08:13 PM

Last photo:

nairb is exactly right! i did my set of 4's and the stock exaust ports were crap. but if done right they make real for a real good set of performance heads.
Old 11-17-2003, 09:43 PM
Engine Builder Mentee

The drawback to Pontiac-header configuration is either you have to run them open to actually be able to use the scavenging effect headers offer, or not run them at all. The way that the Pontiac exhaust ports are canted down cause a slight enough "kink" in headers to not be able to maximize scavenging as much as a typical chevy head would with full pipes. I opted to keep my stock manifolds on my street car until I could find a set of long branch manifolds, what you refered to as what "almost look like headers". These manifolds do improve flow over stock manifolds, and as your friends tells you, headers aren't gonna give you much on a full exhaust system.
Old 11-18-2003, 10:03 AM
NEVER use credit cards!

Last photo:

that's it, you guys just all made my buddy list.
that's really good dope. the logic behind it. you just saved me a ton. except for buying those long branches, which cost as much as headers!
Old 11-18-2003, 12:43 PM

Last photo:

Never mind - just noticed that you have the 326, and the log exhaust manifold could be okay with that displacement. When you get to the larger engines, the same manifold that works okay for the 326 becomes too restrictive for a 462.

Last edited by lust4speed; 11-18-2003 at 12:49 PM.
Old 11-18-2003, 01:32 PM
Tire Fryer

Last photo:

http://www.ramairrestoration.com/generaluse/

Quote:
from Ram Air Restorations site:

Think factory style headers are still too restrictive or power limiting?

Here's one example of how efficient they are in turning your car into a Torque monster and by delivering the same power improvement that a tube header does for any street/strip Poncho (without the tube header "blues"......clearance probs, ticky-noisy, burning gaskets, rust thru, crunched tubes, unable to get to all needed bolts, floor heat, etc.)

A recent dyno test of a 455 + .030 with single 4bbl, Crower cam and ported heads using our 2.5" collector Ram Air series headers & 30" of 2.5" pipe produced 517.2hp @ 5600 rpm, 607.0 ft lbs @ 3800 rpm.

Granted, there's nothing like headers on a stout motor but these Ram air manifolds flow pretty well.

Bullheimer, if you have eventual plans to put something more wild in your car, buy what you need now so you're not spending money on things twice. If you plan on keeping the 326 for a while then stick with the logs. Just my opinion...
Old 11-18-2003, 04:47 PM
NEVER use credit cards!

Last photo:

well i dont have the long branches, and those are the manifolds you are talking about above. if you look at the price of those suckers on that site, over, well over $300, you know that ceramic coated headers from jet hot are the same price. so why bother. and if you look at them, for those who havent seen them, they look like headers anyway. they definitely are the baddest design that gm ever came up with. and your right about my little motor not really needing much, esp with what is said about the lousy heads. btw i love that avatar two back

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.