Old 05-01-2012, 10:04 AM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by PontiacFighter
Hi there, I'm trying to break in a motor that I just built. It's a 1975 Pontiac 400. I have fire at the spark plugs but the motor will not crank. I had the motor to breifly crank but it had an electronic advance distributor in it and it would not run long. I replaced it with a correct vacuum advance distributor and I do have fire but it's not cranking. The motor will only turn over. I believe it's either a lack of gas or the timing is off. When setting the dist. I got the #1 cylinder on TDC and put the rotor button in toward the steering wheel of the car ( about 1 O'clock), then I put the #1 wire to the left of the rotor and wired Counter-clockwise. While trying to crank it I turned the dist. but it didn't seem to respond to any adjustments. Can anyone tell me what might be wrong?
When you say you put the #1 wire to the left of the rotor (or positioned CCW from the rotor), to ME that means you have the timing retarded and actually have the timing set ATDC not BTDC- because the distributor on a Pontiac rotates CCW.