Pontiac will drop GTO this year - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-21-2006, 10:53 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Pontiac will drop GTO this year

Pontiac will drop the GTO this year

Jamie LaReau
Automotive News / February 21, 2006 - 10:08 am

DETROIT -- General Motors has told Pontiac dealers that it will discontinue the GTO coupe at the end of this model year. GM will make the last deliveries of the vehicle to dealers by the end of September, sources close to Pontiac say.

GM will produce 10,000 to 12,000 more GTOs before dropping the nameplate, one source close to the situation says. Last year, Pontiac sold 11,590 GTOs compared to 2004 when it sold 13,569. That's a 14.6 percent drop.

When Pontiac launched the GTO in 2003, it projected 18,000 annual sales. The vehicle was criticized for bland styling, and some fans of the original GTO complained that it lacked nostalgic styling cues.

A Pontiac spokesman confirms the GTO will be discontinued after the 2006 model year.

“There are some changes in the federal regulatory standards. One is an airbag deployment standard that would require some very expensive re-engineering of the car,” says Jim Hopson, Pontiac spokesman. “Since the architecture of this car is being phased out around the world it’s not economically feasible to continue this car.”

Pontiac will continue to build the GTO through the end of May, Hopson says. The last “boatload will hit the ground in June”, he adds.

The GTO first came to dealerships in December 2003 as a 2004 model, Hopson says.

The GTO is built on a rear-wheel drive architecture from GM's Holden division in Australia. The present model is going out of production as GM constructs the new Zeta RWD architecture, says the source.

There is no replacement coupe planned at this time and because of the strong Australian and weak U.S. dollar, the GTO had to be priced thousands over where GM originally wanted it -- in the mid-twenties, the source says. "It never did as much volume as we had hoped," the source says.

Pontiac is considering a replacement in the lineup for a RWD performance vehicle, but does not have anything to announce yet, Hopson says.

The GTO suggested retail price starts at $31,990, including shipping. One GM source says, "the 2005 and 2006 were pretty well sold out, and sales were especially strong in areas of GM weakness, like Southern California. It's a shame it has to go -- for now."

As much as I thought the styling was bland, and the price was too high, I'm sad to see it go, if only because it further shrinks the potential availability of raw materials for rods. A lot of that drivetrain would be awesome transplanted into something a little more interesting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-21-2006, 11:03 AM
RatRod B4 RatRods were Cool

Last photo:

I won't miss it. The car is very bland, I remember when the GTO first came out
and I would see one here and there but no one payed any attention to it.
Old 02-21-2006, 11:43 AM
Gone fishin'

Last wiki edit: Removing stuck fasteners
Last journal entry: blah.......again
Wiki Edits: 2

Maybe they will finally get their heads out of their arse's and actually start making cars that are worth the money again.
I don't even think people could really recognize the GTO going down the road, just because it looks the same as the hondas and other pontiac cars.

Brad
Old 02-21-2006, 02:35 PM
The AMC, FORD, & CHEVY Guy??!!

Last wiki edit: Improving fuel economy
Last journal entry: Finally on the road
Last photo:

I think you hit it on the head. When I'm driving down the road the new mustang, corvette, charger stand out. The GTO I had to actally look for to see it. Not a good sales pitch if your customer base doesn't notice your product out and about.

Besides, why would I buy a cramped uncofortable car when I can go next door to the Dodge dealer and buy a 300C or Charger which is just as fast with all the goodies for $3000-$5000 less? Besides, I can get a 1-2 year old low miles corvette for the same $$$$ as a new GTO. Which would you rather have?
Old 02-21-2006, 02:50 PM
Lost in the 50s!

Last journal entry: time to start body work
Last photo:

I guess I have to agree. I always notice the mustang, vette, and a few others, but I don't even remember seeing a GTO on the road. Other than the commercials, I don't recall seing one at all.
Old 02-21-2006, 04:39 PM
Bowtie or Die!

Last photo:

I like the newest GTO. I would buy one I a heart beat If I had the money. At least its rear wheel drive.
Old 02-21-2006, 05:50 PM

Last wiki edit: Mopar tapered axle rear brake conversion
Last journal entry: What I'm doing now...
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 49

Another import down the tubes. Yehawwwwwww!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-21-2006, 07:21 PM
You got a leaky spark tube...

Last wiki edit: Rearend removal
Last journal entry: General Lee
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by WakBordr7387
I don't even think people could really recognize the GTO going down the road, just because it looks the same as the hondas and other pontiac cars.
Yeah...but do those Hondas have a 400hp V8 under their hoods? I dont think so!
Old 02-21-2006, 07:39 PM

Last photo:

2004 Gto

I have a 2004 GTO for my daily driver- For all the bad press these cars have gotten, it's the BEST car (outside of the C6) that has come from the General in a LONG time.
Yes, the styling is a bit bland, but it does grow on you- Especially from the driver's seat (where you really can't tell what it looks like outside anyway).
The interior is the best I've seen in a while on any GM. None of that damn black/gray cheezy plastic crap that seems to swallow most of their line up.
The seats are very comfortable, the dash / switch gear is all above par and the 6 speed is just sweet.
I took this thing from Chicago to Long Boat Key and back over one weekend and never got fatigued. Averaged 85mph at 26 mpg- Not bad for a 350 horse V-8.

No, it's not perfect- The trunk is a joke, it's too heavy and it was over priced (the only reason I bought it was because the 04's were unsellable and I got it for 10K under sticker). But I have to admit that this has been the best 'daily driver' I've ever owned.
I'll be sad to see it go- It was the first glimpse of what GM could be producing on a grander scale if they could only get their **** together.
Old 02-21-2006, 09:37 PM
L79 327 5SPD S10 '65GTO

Last photo:

Bummer, I hope this is a smack in the face for them, WAKE UP GM! Your turning your back on the customers that made you, and wondering why your losing money. front drive is cheap, but it aint makin' you money any more, and now you know how a fwd car sells with a rear axle in it. Time to build some real rear drivers, cause hey, I wouldn't trade my beater '65 for an 05 if YOU paid ME. And hell I couldn't get one a Canada anyway. Though if I had to chose from GM's lineup (excluding vette) It'd be a GTO.

Now that they're going, I want one more.
Old 02-22-2006, 09:44 PM
Sittin' on top of the world...

Last photo:

Oh well.... Once they start hitting the boneyards, they'll make killer doner cars.

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.