(?)Poor guys excluded!(?) - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-17-2002, 10:51 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Thumbs down

Monte don't sweat those idiots.If you notice the snobs are the ones,that "mommy & daddy" are paying for it. You also find at cruise ins alot of these young kids,(nothing against you younguns)have not turned the first wrench on their car.
You built your car to have fun like the rest of us.I am not letting a few jerks keep me from enjoying myself.I had a 66 stang that looked fairly decent.I got laughed at when going to cruise ins. But when the jerks figured out I had enough brains to repair things on the spot ,I started getting respect.One 18 yr old kid asked for my help one night at a cruise.First I told him fix it himself. Then I went and fixed his car ,just to prove I was not as big of an ********* as his crowd.None of them new what to do on the car.SO hang in there. Go to a cruise in and enjoy yourself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-17-2002, 10:59 PM

monte , keep one thing in mind...daddies money did not build yours ! and you have more pride in yours than they will ever have. keep it up.
Old 06-18-2002, 12:20 AM

Red face

I have 2 cars. The first is a `83 Z28. It get's little respect. BUT, I built it up myself. So when they folks with the KIT cars and $40-50 thousand cars say things like "I got a belly botton, you got a belly botton?" Meaning that Camaros and Mustangs are a dime a dozen....it get's to me a little. But then you ask them a few questions about thier car. They can not tell you anything other then "SO AND SO did the work"
I take pride in mine because I built it. (well, I did not do all the work, but I was the mind behind the plan)
My second car is a `63 Nova SS coupe. It WAS a bracket racer. I started to make a PRO STREET out of it, then changed my mind as I see to many of these around any more. So I decided to go PRO TOUR/G MACHINE. Well...same thing. I get flack. But that and poor attitude goes with almost everying in daily life.
My come back to the TRAILER QUEENS and DADDYS money is this. "SEE YA AT THE TRACK?" or again ask them something about thier car. Ususally if you show interest in a long time member or cruise atendy you will get a little respect. I find that they all like to pick on the NEW GUY.
Who cares, just go with it, have fun like you started out to and enjoy YOUR car.
Most of the ones that give you a hard time are talking out the side of thier mouth anyway. Either they have the look and no go, or go and no show.
Even if yours has neither...IT'S YOURS.
Build it, drive it, enjoy it and forget about the BULS**T.
Sooner or later if you keep going to the shows you will find a select few that will apreciate what you have build and be happy to park beside it.
I started out with nothing, just going to the shows...poor attitude was had because I did not have the car, but when they learned of what I knew and who I knew...things changed rather quickly.
Now I can not go to a show without either of my cars and be stoppped by young and old asking were my cars are.
It's all fun and games. Don't let the older folks playing the high school head games get to you.
JUST CROOZE!

(B.T.W. I am a young guy so the poor attitude was given to me even harder, untill I got the Z28 done up for stereo comps and the Nova built up with a little help from a local racer. Neither of my cars is worth anywere near $10,000...but I plan on adding to the Nova every year till I am COMPLETLY HAPPY with it...KEY WORD - "I".

[ June 18, 2002: Message edited by: novass ]</p>
Old 06-18-2002, 03:26 AM

Heres the deal you need to take pride in what you built and not worry about what they had built.As long as the car satifies you that all you need.I've built 4x4 and a couple of cool rides , I never thought once about what they said.theres always going to some people that don't like it but their will be some people that will.I didn't care wether I got a trophy , I listened to the kids and their parents.I got more joy out of some kid saying " that a kool truck" than anything else.Just kee on showing and do your best ..........
Old 06-18-2002, 05:04 AM
American Madd Man

Last photo:

Thumbs up

Unfortunately, you have hit on a subject that there is no answer to. I feel the same way, but after reading the replys, I had to interject. Personally, I think hot rods are kinda like skiing.You do it by yourself and even the best dressed ones with the fancy equipment crash. I have a 55 Chev Truck with a home built flatbed. I love it. Many, including friends, want me to go with a late model bed. I think they look good, but if you want to do it to my truck, buy it and have at it. To the guy who said something about, "If it ain't a SBC, it ain't nothing" I think I have seen all the SBC's I care to see. I have a 455 Olds in my buckboard.
Old 06-18-2002, 05:06 AM
American Madd Man

Last photo:

Thumbs up

Unfortunately, you have hit on a subject that there is no answer to. I feel the same way, but after reading the replys, I had to interject. Personally, I think hot rods are kinda like skiing.You do it by yourself and even the best dressed ones with the fancy equipment crash. I have a 55 Chev Truck with a home built flatbed. I love it. Many, including friends, want me to go with a late model bed. I think they look good, but if you want to do it to my truck, buy it and have at it. To the guy who said something about, "If it ain't a SBC, it ain't nothing" I think I have seen all the SBC's I care to see. I have a 455 Olds in my buckboard.
I guess what I am saying is do your own thing and be happy with it. As to the jerks, they have little woodies and sometimes small cars.
Old 06-18-2002, 05:50 AM

Last photo:

primer gray hotrods yep that's where i started out in 1955 i knew von dutch & big daddy ed roth and these guys would lean over your fenders and talk to ya not at you. give you a jumpstart and or a push before they would let you hitch hike home

sam barris was cool very unlike his brother george barris whom had his head up his ***** and waz out for de bucks but diffirent strokes for diffirent folks.

heck yea give me a guy who builds his own but i can't knock the guys who can't and have someone else build it for them. its the personal attudes you have to sort out hell yea slide right in there with your primered 48 plymouth wagon with de twice pipes stars on de mudflaps next to de trailer queens and hold your head up you are a true hotrodder
SEEYA AT DE END OF DE OL 1320

<a href="http://bullfoot.bravepages.com/index.html" target="_blank"> de cave</a>
<a href="http://bullfoot.bravepages.com/photos10.html" target="_blank">drag race diesel dream</a>
<a href="http://bullfoot.bravepages.com/photos5.html" target="_blank">drdd pit crew updates</a>
<a href="http://bullfoot.bravepages.com/sponsors.html" target="_blank"> drdd sponsors</a>
<a href="http://bullfoot.bravepages.com/bigsky.html" target="_blank">BIG SKY MONTANA 2002</a>
Old 06-18-2002, 05:50 AM

I figured out a great way to beat this. Use a sense of humor and some low buck technical know-how. My TurboStude is a 50' bullet-nose with a 47' flathead 6 motor....which I tripled the horsepower of with a junkyard turbo, some tubing, and a bunch of hardware store fittings. This cost about $200. It is in primer and has no hood. In magic marker, I have listed how much each part cost me, and on the air bonnet, it says: "I get 15 pounds of boost- what do YOU get?" I take it to Back to the 50's, a car show in Minnesota each year (11,000 rods) and during the following year, talk to strangers with rods. They have all seen TurboStude..... The people you WANT to talk to will be interested. Forget the rest. They have no technical savy and no sense of humor.
<a href="http://cancermn.net/TS/TURBO.html" target="_blank">http://cancermn.net/TS/TURBO.html</a>
Old 06-18-2002, 07:08 AM

It's always the few bad apples that leave a sour taste. Just enjoy your past time! I just went to a cruise last weekend and met a few friends and had a great time. Our cars are fairly nice, mine is a driver, 2-3 days a week. Well, I saw a really clean 57 Chevy that was a real show quality car. I happened to come up on his rear at the freeway on ramp and stayed about 100 feet behind him but let him know I was there by goosing the gas. He ATTEMPTED to pull away but when he couldn't he backed off or maybe he just didn't want to try. I just cruised on by him. For the most part, car shows have really nice people that I have no problems talking to. Just stick to your friends and don't mind any jerks.
Old 06-18-2002, 07:56 AM

HEY! Don't focus on the negative. Look what happened to Jesus and He didn't even own a car.
Old 06-18-2002, 08:34 AM

[quote]Originally posted by 78 monte:
<strong>Last saturday I ran into another poor hotrodder like myself.We got talking about how we are treated at local cruises.I got remembering some of my expieriances,which are why I dont attend any local car events.
I can remember pulling in just wanting to hang and talk cars etc...only to get comments such as "Ha-Ha piece of ****"And other rich boy comments and snickers. I can also recall one night as I was trying to leave there was a group of people standing in front of the exit they ignored the fact that I was trying to leave after about 5min or so I had to back around and out the entrance.
The guy I was talking to Sat. had similar expieriances.Guys picking over his car and guys giving short snuby answers in conversation.
Now,I dont have a tubbed wheel standing prostreeter w/ 14coats of clear and a600horse 468.I do what I can with what I have.I respect other guys cars whether I like the car or not.Now why is it some guys cant do the same? My cars have gotten better sinse my days of trying to hang,but I still dont feel I should have to subject myself to that. I don't expect turning heads from my backyard paint job or my little smallblock but a little respect would be nice.
I like helping if someone needs to know something I Know or needs a hand.I can remember one night my starter went at one of these "gatherings" all I got was a rore of laughter.Anyone else had to deal w/ this kind of nonsense?

[ June 12, 2002: Message edited by: 78 monte ]</strong><hr></blockquote>
Old 06-18-2002, 09:17 AM
Jeep XJ and a Javelin

Last wiki edit: Compression test
Last journal entry: August 9, part III
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 7

Lightbulb

Hey, those snobs should keep their mouths shut. Hor-Rodding is self-expression, and self-expression is art, isn't it? I wonder how many of us hot rodders like "low buck" projects better than the big-dollar jobs. I'm one of them.
Matt, age 16. Has no car.
Old 06-18-2002, 11:35 AM

Hey,Don't let the snobs spoil your day. You have an honest to god street rod and all they have is a pretty picture. Trailor queens aren't what hot rodding is about. YOU build them for YOU. Whether it be to a local meet down town or cross country to Hot August Nights, you drive it and you are proud of it. No trailor queen in the world can match that feeling. That is the essence of the sport. That and the many good and helpful friends you will meet that aren't snobs. That is street roding. Go to the meets and who knows one day we may all meet up and go laugh at the trailor queens.
Old 06-18-2002, 11:53 AM
Speed is a question of money..

Last photo:

Dear Monte:

Don't sweat it young one... finding a group of folks with the same interests and support is sometimes hard. I was lucky enough to find a fine group of folks that loves all shades of incomplete.

I've got a candy red 1930 Model A Coupe that caught some heat from a guy at a local cruise night a few years back. The guy ragged on me about getting a "decent" ride and about how I needed to give the car to a real man! I kept blowin' it off but my brother came by, another street rodder in the same club as I, and asked the putz where his car was... Turned out he didn't even have one but had ridden to the show with a friend in a half attempt low-rider Ford Ranger! I like low-riders and minitrucks but everybody thought this guy was a real moron for pickin' on an older guy with a finished Street Rod!

You'll find that there are generally two reasons why people put down your car. First, they don't have one and they're jealous of yours. Or Second, they've got a pristine ride THEY DIDN'T BUILD and they're too scared to work on it, so they're jealous that you're having the REAL fun of owning a HotRod, which is making it your own!

Also, remember that those candy-colored wheel standing SUPERBIGBLOCK rides are never, never daily drivers and thus not TRUE HOTRODS but Trophy Pieces. A HotRod should be an extension of your personality, not a substitute. (I've dropped this casually in conversation and burst many a bubble at local cruises).

Hey, man... Primer is THE COLOR for HotRods! And if they gripe about the paint, do like I do and tell 'em to cut you a check and you'll paint it any color they like! Just remember that if they're ooohing and aaahing or pointing and laughing.... they're paying attention, which is kind of what we want anyway...so we win whether they like it or not.

SuperFrog
Old 06-18-2002, 02:45 PM

sounds like you go to car shows to see people.. Remember money doesn't make a person better than you. Look at the cars and enjoy them, cause it would be very boring looking at junky or just ok cars, no one would go...
As for attitudes, don't let one bad apple spoil the bunch. There are alot of people who appreciate young people who work on their cars.
Also remember not to smother people who are looking to have a good time, just looking at cars, or zoning out as I call it...

Hope it goes better for you, always try to look at the good in things, and you'll have a lot more fun..

thanks Tom V.

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.