Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Poor Idle- Low Vacuum
View Single Post
Old 06-04-2003, 09:17 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Post Poor Idle- Low Vacuum

Hi Guys. I could sure use some input here.
First off I am just getting my 55 Chevy truck together and have a bit of a problem with the engine.
It is a rebuilt 327 with 462 heads,comp 274 cam performer intake and a 600 Edelbrock carb. Cam specs are as follows,Duration at .06 is 274-286.Lift is 480 int. 490 exhaust.
Now the idle when turned down sounds Healthy with a good lope to it. The problem is it seems to run fairly well with the idle turned up to maybe 1000 rpm but under that it seems to to fluctuate to the point where it slows down so much it will stall while just sitting there. Vacuum gauge reads about 5" at idle. Is this a carb problem? Distibutor?
Anyone got a guess what might make it so inconsistant at a reasonable idle speed? I know someone else using the same cam and his runs and sounds great at idle. Any hints would be greatly appreciated.
Oh yes,I do have a new 750 holley but had hoped to find out what the problem is before switching carbs. Thanks a lot....