Hot Rod Forum banner

poor mans fuel return

796 views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  DoubleVision 
#1 ·
So m old square electric fuel pump died. So i got a bigger one. I decided to do a return line for two reason. One helps keep pump cool, so it last longer. Two, the truck sits a lot. the ethanol in the gas sucks up water. I have installed a water separator. This way i can just turn the key and let fuel circulate. Cant afford those 100 dollar fpr with a bypass. So what i did was get a fuel shut off valve for a mower. For running just crack it a little so there is some return. Then when i wont to remove water just open it up and turn the key and let it circulate.

So yall think this will work are am i looking for problems

#2 ·
If there's not a flooding issue at idle, then take it down the road. From a dead stop floor it and let it run through 1st and half of 2nd, if it runs good and has good power then it's okay. If it bogs down at WOT then it's not getting enough fuel volume and the return is too great.
When I removed the TBI on my 92 chevy silverado I slapped on a set of vortec heads with ferrea valves and a single plane intake for marine applications topped off with a Quadrajet and a vacuum with mechanical advance HEI, I put a small jet out of a holley carb in the return line in efforts to keep the fuel pressure below 5 psi. First try it was too small, fuel pressure was over 6 psi so it was flooding. I removed the jet and went up 1mm at a time with drill bits until it was right at 4.5 psi. It ran great at take off and cruise, but when at WOT it bogged down and cut off due to lack of fuel volume. I finally got tired of playing with it so I ordered a Holley bypass regulator, set the fuel pressure to 5 psi and no more problems.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.