Poor performance from 700r4 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-01-2007, 05:53 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Poor performance from 700r4

Hey guys, I've got a 700r4 behind my 388 and I'm really not to happy with the way it acts on the street. Heres the characteristics.

- 1-2 shift at about 10-20 mph

- 2-3 shift at about 30 mph

- 3-4 shift at 55mph minimum

- You can only get it to do a 3-2 downshift with wot around 40-45 mph

- Very rarely can u get a 2-1 shift out of it

The car has a 2.73 rear which i know is far from optimum for snappy street characteristics but I expected a little more than I'm getting now. I'm running a Holley 650 along with all the proper brackets from them to ensure proper geometry. Ive adjusted it by pushing in the button, pushing the slider all the way back, releasing the button, then giving it full throttle at the carb. I can hear no clicks when doing this and the slider does not move at all from this process.

When you do get it to downshift it will stay in the gear for a very small ammount of time then proceed to upshift to where you started.

Can anyone help me out here?

Advertisement

Last edited by strokey; 11-01-2007 at 06:18 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-01-2007, 07:46 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: T-350 rebuild tech
Last journal entry: Bar under the dash
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1659

have you verified WOT from the gas pedal inside the vehicle? I've seen many vehicles that do not get full throttle from inside with the pedal

Is the TV cable pulled tight at WOT after the throttle check?

Adjusting the TV cable as you mention to pull the cable slider out with WOT is the wrong way to do the adjustment. That can bend the linkage inside the trans.... Many folks use this method and it is ALL over the internet as the 'way to do the adjustment'

Geometry is correct? Does your Holley carb have the geometry corrector installed ? Have you measured the distance from carb shaft to the pivot point for the TV cable. Very few Holleys are correct.
Old 11-01-2007, 07:58 PM

I have the bracket from holley that bolts to the throttle arm to accept the tv cable fitting and also a bracket from holley that bolts to the drivers side rear intake stud to accept the tv and throttle cable.

Could you inform me on the proper way to adjust the cable.

I have checked wot in car vs. under the hood and they seem to be nearly identical.

I'm open to all suggestions just lookin for ideas here.

Kyle
Old 11-01-2007, 08:04 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: T-350 rebuild tech
Last journal entry: Bar under the dash
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1659

adjusting the TV cable : you release the TV cable , then rotate the throttle to WOT. Release the cable lock adjustment.

The TV cable should fully pulled out at WOT. That is where GM designed the setup to be at. The cable can be adjusted to pull less... obviously the cable can not pull more than full pull.... that is where the internal linkage is bent.

There is the possiblity that the inner TV valve inside the v-body is stuck or sticky. This would not allow the proper shift timing to happen
Old 11-01-2007, 08:05 PM

Is this a new rebuild, or a used unit?

The 2.73 diff will, at times present some calibration challenges on a 700R4.

The governor in this unit does not seem to be a "match" for your setup.

As the governor spins off the output shaft it will produce pressure that is sent to your valve body.

This pressure acts on the shift valves and other valves as well.

A governor that has weights or springs, or both, that are too light will not produce enough governor pressure to perform it's task very well.

It seems that this is the case with your vehicle.

Not enough governor pressure, so you have had to back off of the TV pressure as well, just to get it to upshift at a decent speed.

This is dangerous, not enough TV pressure will hurt your trans.

You need to take a look at your governor, compare it with another governor and find one with heavier weights.

Then you can reset your TV pressure to obtain your desired upshifts and downshifts.
Old 11-02-2007, 02:59 PM

Edit - Didnt word that very well. The 700r4 that im using and the 2.73 rear that im using came together from the factory in this camaro.

Last edited by strokey; 11-02-2007 at 04:58 PM.
Old 11-03-2007, 05:55 AM

700r4

Ok strokey that does narrow things down a bit.

I would also agree that the TV valve is causing this problem.
Old 11-03-2007, 06:09 PM

Do you think that this is an internal problem or an adjustment of the cable itself. The transmission itself has about 69k. 66k of its life it was driven by a female state trooper and was behind a gutless lg4 305. The transmission is in excellent shape.

Briscoe - Can you give me your explanation of the proper adjustment of the cable.

Thanks

Last edited by strokey; 11-03-2007 at 06:17 PM.
Old 11-05-2007, 08:18 AM

poor performance from a 700

Strokey, the advice and instructions that Crosley gave you is great info, I see that you are somewhat new to this site but, you will come to understand how knowledgeable Crosley is.

Since this is a unit that has not been into before, miscalibration issues, things like wrong governors and valve body swaps are not a concern.

It seems that with the symptoms that you've described the TV valve, inside of the valve body, is sticking.

This is a common problem and can be fixed somewhat easily.

Checking the trans mainline pressure with a 0-300 psi gauge, is how many shops qualify this concern.

With a gauge on mainline tap and the vehicle warmed up, engine running, if you see pressure above 100psi in park, the TV valve is sticking.

Erratic upshifts and downshifts, no upshifts, unreliable forced downshifts, the 3-4 upshift at too high a road speed. These can all be blamed on a tv system problem.

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.