Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Poor performance, gas smell, black smoke...
View Single Post
Old 08-15-2009, 07:18 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Poor performance, gas smell, black smoke...

and hard starting (i have to keep it floored to get it to start up).

I have a 305 w/holly two barrel (unsure of anything more than that). This is the first time the car has ran in over 5 years. My father in law helped me go through the carb and remove all the old gas/varnish. I replaced all the fuel line heading up to the carb due to dry rotting, and i replaced the fuel line that runs across the back of the carb. I re-assembled it, and put it back on the car to get things running...now it runs pretty rough.

It idle's high, you have to floor it to get it started, i smell like i have been riding a two-stroke dirtbike after i drive it around awhile, it is really down on power, and throttle response is horrible.

Is this a simple jetting issue? My in-law suggested that the carb on their is a bit larger than what he would like to see for a stock 305, and this would be a good time to move down to a smaller carb.

How do id my current carb? I know their are stamped numbers on it, but i dont know which ones are used for ID.

Thanks!