poor power brakes with 7'' booster - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-11-2008, 08:56 PM

Last journal entry: dash mods
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

poor power brakes with 7'' booster

In a 38 Chev,I used a 7'' stainless DUAL diaphram booster,chrome 1'' reservior, firewall mounted with S10 pedal,GM proportioning valve, disc front, drum rear.Engine has 18hg.The brakes have never been as good as I hoped.I think my other motor had more vacuum,but brakes were the same.While driving brakes seem fine,altho haven't tried to lock them up at any speed, but at low speed brakes feel like they don't grab, a hard foot will not lock them up.Do I have a brake problem or is this just how brakes are with a 7'' booster? thanks

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-11-2008, 10:43 PM

Last wiki edit: Suspension: designs, shapes, sizes Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 7

Do you have alot of travel on the pedal?

With what you describe, I would suspect the factory proportioning valve to be an issue. A firewall mounted pedal usually means a nice long pedal and lots of leverage. That being the case, I would typically go with a 1 1/8" master cylinder and an adjustable propotioning valve in the rear line along with a 10 lb residual preassure check valve. The dual 7" booster is a great unit, and you should have plenty of preassure to lock up the wheels with ease.

I ALWAYS recommend using 11/32" vacuum brake hose to hook up a booster. Using anything of lesser integrity you run the risk of the hose collapsing internally, especially if it is a long length of hose.
Old 11-11-2008, 11:55 PM

Last photo:

Check out the miles of print on Chevy brakes on ALL sites. I have a 74 Chevy that has been that way sense NEW. I have even talked to a brake mechanic from Chevy, he stated that he had the factory rep out and couldn't stop the truck on a dime; he just stated "No extra charge for the long stop" as he left!! Chevy knows that they have a design problem with several years of their trucks.
That is just the way Chevy brakes are. As the last person stated, get rid of the proportioning valve and use the adjustable valve and a pressure regulator and it should work.
I went with ceramic pads on my front rotors and it helped allot. I will change out all the Chevy brake items and go with a totally new after market system, that may be the only way to eliminate the not so fast stopping Chevy brake design.
Old 11-12-2008, 08:35 PM

I am going to put in a plug for Carbon Metallic brake pads. If they are available for your application, I highly recommend them. Great stopping performance even when cold.
Old 11-12-2008, 09:43 PM

Last journal entry: dash mods
Last photo:

poor power brakes with 7'' booster

what does the residual valve do, thought they were used just if master cylinder was low mounted ,to hold pressure?
Old 11-12-2008, 10:32 PM

The 10 lb residual pressure check valve is used only for axles with drum brakes. It keeps the wheel cylinder pistons expanded against the push-rods to the brake shoes. If you don't have one, the return springs on the brake shoes will compress the wheel cylinder pistons and the next time you push on the brakes, you will need alot of pedal travel to apply the shoes. The check valve can be built in to the master cylinder, or it can be installed in the line going to the drum brake axle.

The 2 lb valves do just what you are talking about. They keep the fluid from running back to the master cylinder when it is lower in the car than the calipers. You do not need one for firewall mounted master cylinders. In the same situation with a low mounted master cylinder the 10 lb valve for drum brakes suits both purposes. Use a manual adjustable proportioning valve in the rear line also to be able to adjust brake balance.
Old 11-12-2008, 10:51 PM

Last wiki edit: Calculating tire size
Last journal entry: Changes...
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

This is a longshot and probably not your problem, but something to consider as a possible factor: It could be your pads/rotors. Try scuffing the pads and rotors with some 100 grit sandpaper, or change out the pads for a new set. Supposedly the cheapest pads are the ones that bite the hardest

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.