Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Poormans quest for high 7's 1/8th mile w/ 383
View Single Post
Old 04-24-2012, 05:58 PM
Veteran/Firefighter-EMT-I CRT

Wiki Edits: 0

i understand why Fbird is telling you 4.56's (not that i agree), the 4.56's will utilize more of your motor while running down the track, but for your case i think they may be a bit much. i could be wrong but i dont take this as you want to have a more strip style car but would like a street car that will be raced at the track from time to time.

when i say that the shorter gears will utilize more of you motor i mean that one of the main ideas of drag racing is to use every bit of motor that you can. so you want you car to be running through the traps in it's final gear at it's max rpm ei if you shift at 6500rpm then you want to running through the traps at 6500rpm. using this idea since seem only interested in the 1/8mi then the shorter the gear the better. but when you want to drive this vehicle on the street and not be running 3500+rpm at 60-65mph then you have to find a happy medium.