Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Poormans quest for high 7's 1/8th mile w/ 383
View Single Post
Old 04-25-2012, 08:51 AM
How fast is fast enough?

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67-4-fun
running 4.56 gear with a 26" tire in an 1/8 mile crossing the traps at around 93mph your rpm will be around 5400rpm, to drive it on the street at 60mph your rpm will be around 3500, if you were to run a 28" tire, then you would be crossing the line around 5200 rpm.. hope this give you an idea as to what kind of rpm you may running.. crossing the traps or finish line at 93mph on average will get you about 7.60-7.70 ET in an 1/8. reason as i pick 93mph is because most of the guys that ive raced with running sportsman class run a 7.50 or slower time to be that class, so i know by looking at the time sheets, that around 93 is a good average + or - a few mph.... you can adjust with tire size a bit by going up to help calm the rpms down on the street, but you sacrifice the drag strip a bit, You should really determan what percentage you plan on driving on the street vs the drag strip and set up gearing and tire size to the bigger percentage or more what the car will be mostly driven.. As for weight of your camaro, i guessing the car itself weighs more like around 3300lbs or so
If you run that 4.56 gear with a .70 OD then it ain't so bad on the street... you'll need some suspension work to hook up in first gear on a 700r4 with 4.56 gears though.

Don't be so caught up in throwing money at the engine, the rest of your drivetrain means a hell of a lot. You could probably hit 7's with all factory parts except for a mild cam and headers when it came to your engine.

There are a lot of slow 500hp cars out there because they didn't set the drivetrain up to match the engine.