Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Pop fix
Thread: Pop fix
View Single Post
Old 12-05-2012, 04:46 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69 widetrack View Post
Where the pops there right away or did they show up after a couple of days? How big are the "pops"? and are they raised? If they are solvent pops, as 302z28 said, block sand them out and re-clear as he mentioned. The only time you would need to re-base is if you burned through in trying to get rid of the pop.

If you can answer the top three questions, I can determine exactly what they are and offer solutions.

Ray
Thanx for the response Ray. Look'n back here's what I think happened. I shot the first coat of clear on a cool dry morning with medium activator, outside. It seemed to be taking a loooong time to flash. I waited a good hour and still "runny" The sun started to come out and the clear started to "firm" up. I then shot the second coat kind of heavy. Now I have too much sun and the second coat flashed up like normal but with these tiny bubbles on the parts exposed to the sun.
To answer your questions, yes some were there pretty quickly some "developed" over time. They are so small I could not see most of them when I compounded the clear in my garage under florescent lights. When I took the parts outside in the sun, to check for color match that is when I seen the extent of them. The surface is like glass. Smooth, shiny and hard. I was going outside looking install these trim pieces, they look that good....cept for the bubbles. I wet sanded the parts about a week after painting and then compounded about a week after that. I know not to rush those steps as you can cause the same solvent problems by sealing fresh paint with wax. No wax has been applied just compound.
Thanx for your help.