Pop Rivets for patch panels - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-31-2012, 04:04 AM
HOT ROD...... FROM A CHRYSLER?

Last wiki edit: Metal shaping
Last journal entry: FLOOR BEADS
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66GMC View Post
Sorry, I disagree ... on both counts ... unless "a few" means all the fingers on both hands

1.) To buy a "hobby" 140A GAS mig welder at Canadian Tire is at least $500.00.
Buying a used flux-core (gasless) wire-feed welder would be a mistake, too. You can't do a decent job on sheet metal with one of those.

2.) I can't see a darn thing wrong with using the correct type of panel adhesive on sheet-metal *provided* that its not a structural body component(i.e. rocker panel) That Norton Speedgrip stuff can be sanded, primed and painted ... and I've never heard of any "shrinkage" problems with it either. Around a door handle? Well maybe ... that repeated flexing *might* cause seperation, but I sincerely doubt it.

This notion of "a patch panel blowing off your car at highway speeds" is pure nonsense, IMO, unless you're using Elmer's white glue or sumpthin'

This article dicusses some of testing that has been done: Putting the Metal to the Metal

If anyone has any info to the contrary, please post it to this thread for discussion.
I have no worries about it "blowing off" or not being strong enough. Did you look at the OP's pics?

He mentions making the panels himself. I'm pretty sure that they are not going to fit so perfect that they won't need major planishing and adjustments with a hammer and dolly. I just can't see doing that after the glue has set.

As for the welder, I bought one about 10 years ago at CT for 300 bucks. If they're 500 bucks now CT is doing OK as the price of the cheap stuff has been coming down since then.

Sometimes, one should consider a tool a "must have" same as one of the parts for the car and include it in the build cost.

Just my 2 cents.

To the OP.
If you're going to glue on patch panels at the headlight area, make sure they are fitting in a way that they don't need adjustments after gluing. Use tapping screws to install the panels prior to gluing to make sure there are no spots sticking up higher than the surrounding metal. Of coarse the patch will stick up up higher unless it can be installed from the back.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-31-2012, 07:10 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanked 1,138 Times in 1,008 Posts
This project is going to be darn tough without the proper tools and skills. Making "patch panels" as complicated as we are talking would tax the most of us to out limits. Not knowing the skills of the OP I would STILL say searching for replacement fenders is the most realistic way to go.

As far as adhesives and safety and the "right" way and all, it's nonsense in this particular project under these conditions if you ask me.

On the "safety", cars are being "glued" and riveted together at the factory these days at an increasing rate. We are talking 4 star crash tested luxury cars. It is VERY common to see things like frame members bond riveted to the firewalls!

Here is a little test my son did back in fifth or sixth grade. Nicks science project weld vs bond and bolt. click here

BMW has a factory guideline for splicing the frame rail at the radiator support with a "glued" in backing inside the rail. We are talking the component that the bumper bolts to! The FRAME rail, you bond this backing inside the rail without a single bolt, rivet, or holding it on but he glue!

As Pugsy pointed out to make these panels is going to take some serious skills (but a great smaller learning project). It has to be done before it is bonded, there is no way you could be shaping that metal with it bonded on right there, at least that goes against everything I know about the stuff and it will likely fail if that were done.

I am thinking go on to something else on the car and hunt for fenders. At the very least hunt for someone who will mail you the front portions of the fenders and then bond them on.

Brian
Old 07-31-2012, 07:20 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,138 Times in 1,008 Posts
Here is a left fender for $50 Click here

And the right is much nicer for $250 click here
Old 07-31-2012, 09:49 AM
put up or shut up

Last journal entry: saying goodbye to the beast
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
This project is going to be darn tough without the proper tools and skills. Making "patch panels" as complicated as we are talking would tax the most of us to out limits. Not knowing the skills of the OP I would STILL say searching for replacement fenders is the most realistic way to go.

As far as adhesives and safety and the "right" way and all, it's nonsense in this particular project under these conditions if you ask me.

On the "safety", cars are being "glued" and riveted together at the factory these days at an increasing rate. We are talking 4 star crash tested luxury cars. It is VERY common to see things like frame members bond riveted to the firewalls!

Here is a little test my son did back in fifth or sixth grade. Nicks science project weld vs bond and bolt. click here

BMW has a factory guideline for splicing the frame rail at the radiator support with a "glued" in backing inside the rail. We are talking the component that the bumper bolts to! The FRAME rail, you bond this backing inside the rail without a single bolt, rivet, or holding it on but he glue!

As Pugsy pointed out to make these panels is going to take some serious skills (but a great smaller learning project). It has to be done before it is bonded, there is no way you could be shaping that metal with it bonded on right there, at least that goes against everything I know about the stuff and it will likely fail if that were done.

I am thinking go on to something else on the car and hunt for fenders. At the very least hunt for someone who will mail you the front portions of the fenders and then bond them on.

Brian
If I remember correctly that rail insert expands or something? Sounds like you went to the automotive foams and adhesive bonding I-car classes.
Old 08-05-2012, 06:37 PM
E.T. divided by $ spent= Speed

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
Here is a left fender for $50 Click here

And the right is much nicer for $250 click here
Thanks Man, I'm gonna contact him.
I had'nt seen anything on ebay for PVs besides small parts.
Only parts house I knew of befor was swedishtreasers in Fayetteville NY. I saved Alan Auto Volvo Service in my Favs.
I'm starting to think I'll slap the existing nose togther just to drive it,as I collect parts to build another nose as cash allows then I'll swap noses.
thanks

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.