Popping noise when backing out of driveway or making a hard turn - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-12-2009, 05:52 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Popping noise when backing out of driveway or making a hard turn

My 96 3/4 ton suburban (250k miles) has somewhat sloppy steering and makes a loud pop sound frequently when backing out of my driveway. Also if i try to make a u turn with the steering wheel against the stop (usually to the left) it will also pop and when it does this it feels like it scoots a little. Kind of like a 4x4 does when its engaged on concrete. Except it just scoots one time and not repeatedly like a 4x4 would. My truck is 2 wheel drive.

Any ideas what might be wrong? The alignment shop told me 6 months ago that one tie rod end was a little loose and that the upper control arm busings on the opposite side were also loose. Would these cause this problem?? I was thinking more like the lines of a ball joint myself. It obviously needs some work but I dont know what all is wrong.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-12-2009, 07:18 PM

You do have worn out parts in the front end and that's very dangerous to drive it with those problems. 250,000 is a lot of miles so I would be prepared to spend some money.
Old 12-12-2009, 07:28 PM
likes chevy trucks & boobies

Last photo:

these 90s trucks also have worn steerin box issues causing sloppy steering

we have replaced many due to this wear

common thing

most recently in a 95 k2500 burb driven from up here from texas for a little while, over 200k miles also.

we work on a 97 c-1500 pickup often here for a guy we know, and have replaced about every single steering related part on it and also the transmission(4L60E), so far
truck is in absolute mint condition even the door panels are spotless in it, i want it because it just runs drives and sounds so nice,.

its crazy

balljoints are usually ok on the 2wd anyways

youll be doing idler, pitman, maybe steering box, maybe a couple TRE;'s also.
Old 12-12-2009, 07:40 PM

Last photo:

The steering box has a screw in the top that tightens it up. Its tight now, i think the slop is somewhere else.

It still needs to be replaced probably as that screw probably doenst tighten up everything.

The steering isnt overly sloppy but it is somewhat sloppy. I myself kind of think the idler arm is bad, but at the cost of the suspension parts, i hate to throw parts at it. One tie rod end and upper control arm bushing is all the inspection station found a problem with. I just dont know if those will cause the noise i hear or not. I suppose it could be the slop problem tho.
Old 12-12-2009, 08:45 PM

Last photo:

Popping noise when backing out of driveway or making a hard turn

upper bushings on my ride .
i thought ball joint too .
mine popped when hitting brake and releasing them .
i put ride on jack stand and when i took lug wrench , hand type , and when i did the twist right then quick left to pop the lugs , i saw the upper a frame moving .rubber gone .

i'd try looking myself and do the ball joint test too .
grab hold and have someone turn wheels back and forth and feel if there popping or try lifting wheel with pry bar with jack stand under frame and jack holding up on lower a frame tp release spring tension on it .
the didn't put grease fittings on it did they ?
Old 12-12-2009, 09:45 PM
Last photo:

Late model Chevy trucks suffer from the popping condition you are describing. It is not due to any worn parts in the suspension, it is due to the bottom of the steering column. We have a 2004 Tahoe that has the condition appear every year or so. The first couple of times I took it into the Chevy dealership and it would be fine for about a year. I finally asked what they were doing. All they do is pack the lower end of the steering sector with grease.

Vince
Old 12-12-2009, 09:48 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 302 Z28
Late model Chevy trucks suffer from the popping condition you are describing. It is not due to any worn parts in the suspension, it is due to the bottom of the steering column. We have a 2004 Tahoe that has the condition appear every year or so. The first couple of times I took it into the Chevy dealership and it would be fine for about a year. I finally asked what they were doing. All they do is pack the lower end of the steering sector with grease.

Vince
An 04 is alot different than a 96. There are one or two body style changes between the two. There is a steering problem on the early 2000s trucks but this one doesnt suffer from that problem since it is older.
Old 12-13-2009, 03:48 AM
Home School Valedictorian

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 4

If you do not know how to check for worn suspension or steering parts, take it in for a wheel alignment check and see what they come up with for a list. Any shops you know or someone you know and trust? If so, Replace what they tell you is bad.
I would be doing this sooner than later.
Old 12-13-2009, 06:04 AM
loves ex cop cars

Last photo:

i don't mean to be rude but i wouldn't argue or try to talk yourself out of a problem.i'am not a truck guy but by what has been told so far by guys who know what they are talking about you are driving on borrowed time and somethig bad is about to happen soooooooooo. fix it jmo.
Old 12-19-2009, 06:14 PM

Last photo:

Oh I agree I am not arguing I just dont think the noise is "normal". Would a cheap replacement part (instead of a good moog part) be ok for the time being? Its the time of year where Im not working too much and money is an issue. Once spring comes and Ive got more money I can go through and start replacing more things. I need shocks on this thing all the way around. Gonna be needing tires too before too long. Treads starting to get a little thin...
Old 12-20-2009, 08:31 AM

Last journal entry: new pictures of T-bucket
Last photo:

popping noise

I would'nt waste my time with"store brand" front end parts.They are very poor quality,and probably no better than the worn part you are replacing.I would guess without seeing it that you do have a ball joint problem.Those uppers on those trucks go bad quite often.

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.