POR-15 Engine Enamel - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-16-2008, 12:47 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

POR-15 Engine Enamel

I've read almost all of the "engine paint" related threads on here, and there seems to be a misconception as far as POR-15 products. I've been looking for an ideal paint for my SBC and have heard to use an epoxy primer, as well as the POR-15 Engine Enamel (not the POR-15 rust treatment products..)

So, I took a trip to one of my local paint suppliers, asked about a decent Epoxy, and was asked what I'd be painting.. When I had mentioned that it'd be used on an engine, the salesguy immediately suggested POR-15 Engine Enamel (1k, no primer).. His concern was the same as one that I'd had reading posts; How well would a "plain ole" 2k Epoxy Primer/Basecoat/Clearcoat hold up to an engine's heat?

I had mentioned to him that I'd read that regular epoxy would hold up well, and that specialty paints weren't always necessary (he had mentioned an engine getting up to 1500, I had told him that maybe at the exhaust ports, the headers might be, but a block and heads shouldn't be even close to that..)

So, I ended up putting in an order for 2 pints of POR-15 Engine Enamel.. Should I have just picked up some Epoxy?? Any experienced input?? Please; no hearsay, I've been reading "friend of a friend" stories for the past couple of days..

Thanks for any input; it is greatly appreciated..

(BTW- the engine is a rebuilt SBC with less than 100 miles, going in a driver, not a show car.. I'd like it to hold up to a little fun on the street, as well as some test & tune fun, and after stripping the paint once, I'd rather never do it again unless rebuilding..)

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-16-2008, 01:00 PM

Last photo:

Hmm, Not familar with that brand but have always had good long term results with 2 cans of Chevy Orange Krylon.

Mark
Old 05-16-2008, 01:17 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmark
Hmm, Not familar with that brand but have always had good long term results with 2 cans of Chevy Orange Krylon.

Mark
BAH!, I originally painted the engine (respray, actually) with spraycan, I think I used Dupli-color.... the engine was painted when I bought it- but there were a few spots I went over.. It chipped, peeled, and looks
Old 05-16-2008, 01:52 PM
Horsepower Enthusiast

Last journal entry: Finished BMOD001FH
Last photo:

You can have good results with just about anything, as long as you do the right prep work. Cleaning and degreasing is a must, and with all the road grime and dust that can collect the pores of the block that is almost impossible with out sandblasting or hot tanking.
Old 05-16-2008, 01:57 PM
How fast is fast enough?

Last photo:

something else that works really well- if you like black is Rustoleum BBQ paint... yea sounds wierd, and it only comes in flat black, but I can attest that it can hold up to the heat. Plus flat black is good at masking any grease you get on the engine.
Old 05-16-2008, 02:06 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double_v23
Cleaning and degreasing is a must, and with all the road grime and dust that can collect the pores of the block that is almost impossible with out sandblasting or hot tanking.
Which was one of my worries, the engine hasn't seen much time on the road... It is down to metal, and I cleaned it up with Acetone, but it's still assembled, so I'd like to avoid as much disassembly as possible.... I was thinking to brush on some Acetone and wipe to get the engine as clean as I can..
Old 05-16-2008, 05:01 PM

Last photo:

ttt................
Old 05-16-2008, 05:50 PM

Last photo:

por-15

I've used por-15 engine enamel on two motors. My 68 camaro I painted 5 years ago and it still looks great.I just finished a 56 Chevy p/up and used it on the motor.It holds up great and can be applied with a brush if you don't want to spray. It flows very well.I also used their chassis paint.Sprayed that on. Your money was well spent. You can check out my pictures on this site. Good luck with your project...
Old 05-16-2008, 06:56 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by douger456
I've used por-15 engine enamel on two motors. My 68 camaro I painted 5 years ago and it still looks great.I just finished a 56 Chevy p/up and used it on the motor.It holds up great and can be applied with a brush if you don't want to spray. It flows very well.I also used their chassis paint.Sprayed that on. Your money was well spent. You can check out my pictures on this site. Good luck with your project...
Thanks for the info, I'll post some pictures up as soon as the paint hits.. I'll check out your pictures as well.. The engine was Chevy Orange when I first picked it up, I plan on painting it Black this time around..... Maybe...

eazy
Old 05-16-2008, 07:52 PM

Last photo:

I just painted my block & heads with POR 15 Chevy Orange engine enamel.Although I didnt use any special primer,there was a good base coat from my previous rebuild,I cleaned that really good,brake cleaner & wiped it down with laquer thinner.The brushed on POR 15 looks like it was sprayed on,and its already been warmed up on a dyno run.I've had lots of compliments on how good it looks.I bought a quart can and still have lots left over,and I did the water pump & bellhousing.
Guy
Old 05-16-2008, 07:55 PM
T-Bucket, Corvette, Mustang

Last wiki edit: Removing stuck fasteners Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

I painted my last engine with the POR-15 engine enamel. The engine was assembled. I took extra time with the degreasing. I masked well and used a brush. Turned out very well. Two years later I noticed a small amount of flaking around a spark plug hole which was touched up with the same product. I would use it again. The only downside I recall is that the manufacturer recommends a rather long dry / cure time. Post-painting oil weeps and such don't seem to affect, deteriorate, or weaken the finish.

I have been told by pros that most engines can be painted with the same paint as the body is painted with. Have never tried it but I see a lot of engines where the engine color matches the body color so it is perhaps reasonable to suggest the same paint has been used.
Old 05-16-2008, 10:53 PM

Last photo:

Anyone have experience with spark plug hole "surroundings" not peeling after time with any kind of paint??

thanks...
Old 05-18-2008, 07:04 AM

Last photo:

Anyone else use POR-15 Engine Enamel with a success story?? Onyone ever use this over a primer??
Old 05-20-2008, 09:53 AM

Last photo:

Just picked up my POR-15, anyone suggest an application technique? Should I spray on? Should I brush on??

Thanks
Old 05-20-2008, 10:51 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggeazy-e
Just picked up my POR-15, anyone suggest an application technique? Should I spray on? Should I brush on??

Thanks

I brushed mine on when I used the POR 15 and after it dried overnight all of the brushmarks were gone. I would not spray it and whatever it gets on it stays on so wear gloves and put something on the floor in case you spill.

Mike

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.