Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - POR 15 to fix Cancer on Steel???
View Single Post
Old 01-12-2006, 04:31 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by STATUTORY GRAPE
Hey Rick, how's it going in Madison, I'm from LaCrosse. I painted a truck once that had bad surface rust on the cab corners and on the cab right above the windshield where the paint flaked off, so I sandblated the rusty spots and put POR-15 (black) on it, sanded smooth and primed and painted over it. It's only been about 3 years since I done this truck but it will be interesting to see if the rust ever comes back on those spots
Things are wonderful in Madison Grape, especially when you don't need a coat on in January.

Glad you got the corners fixed and things worked out for you. I have a nice 68 Camaro I am restoring that was POR'ed by the first guy that took on the project and it looks like sheet. This after sitting in a barn for 2 years.

Your application is totally different that what was in the picture. That door is rot, plain and simply. Nothing short of surgery is going to fix that. I think your success was having the metal sandblasted and clean to start with. As long as the metal is sealed it should be fine. My method would have been to sandblast, epoxy, primer surfacer, block and paint.

I am about as far removed from being a POR fan as you can get. I I have 3 vehicles in my shop right now that are worth about $110,000. It's worth it to me to make sure I do repairs to the highest level I can. I can't afford to have them fail shortly after.

Yeah, I hate POR 15 type products. I rank them right up there with oil additives like Slick 50.

Something else to think about. In my consulting business I get into a lot of various metal fabrication facilities. Like the John Deere Stamping plants, Toro, Mayville Metals, APW, Karavan Trailers, Skag, Tab Products, MEC and others. None of these facities that still need to wet spray some products for customers use anything remotely close to a POR 15 product. If it was the end all be all of protection these companies would use it since protection of thier product is such a high priority. If it out performed a salt spray test or adhesion test they would be all over it. If they need the best money can buy they powder coat. Otherwise it's a 7 stage phosphate wash and epoxy then into the bake oven.