POR 15 horror stories - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-02-2011, 09:57 AM
62 Vette L-98 TPI & ZF 6 speed

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Don't use it anywhere near where you may need to weld someday. the heat will pull in the POR from a surprising distance and screw up the weld.

how's that for a "horror story"

Russ

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-02-2011, 10:47 AM

Last wiki edit: Mopar tapered axle rear brake conversion
Last journal entry: What I'm doing now...
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by 327NUT
Hey Centerline....like your new avatar, how's that thing drive on the road?
Well, it has about 3 miles on it so far. Just test drove it around the neighborhood. Need to swap out the front brake cylinders as their bore is too small for the MC. Also will be building a new set of Lake style headers this winter. Although the Roadster headers that are on it now look good from a distance they have some serious problems and just aren't up to my standards. Anyway, not to highjack this thread... it drives nice and smooth... but its a bit loud.

Centerline
HotRodsAndHemis.com

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, WOW, What a ride!" - Anonymous
Old 10-03-2011, 09:13 AM
im on a highway to hell

Last journal entry: new wheels and seats
Last photo:

no horror stories here. im very happy with the way it works there were a few spots that peeled but that was applicator's error silly me
Old 10-19-2011, 10:53 PM

Last photo:

I love the stuff too, i used it on the frame in my truck when i was cleaning it up. Its great for parts you arnt going to sand blast and have rust on them, when i did my frame i just scrubbed it with soap and water let it try and then brush on the por15. Right over the rust, probably why the pro's dont like it they sand blast everything, which is no good for por15. also one thing i emailed them about was what temps it could be painted at, and the responce i got was dont use below 60 degrees. so when ever i brush it on i heat up the part with a tiger torch on cool days to get the part nice and warm. works great.
Old 10-20-2011, 05:10 PM

Last journal entry: Grille
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumpity_z28
I love the stuff too, i used it on the frame in my truck when i was cleaning it up. Its great for parts you arnt going to sand blast and have rust on them, when i did my frame i just scrubbed it with soap and water let it try and then brush on the por15. Right over the rust, probably why the pro's dont like it they sand blast everything, which is no good for por15. also one thing i emailed them about was what temps it could be painted at, and the responce i got was dont use below 60 degrees. so when ever i brush it on i heat up the part with a tiger torch on cool days to get the part nice and warm. works great.
Any paint needs to be applied at 60+ really
Old 10-20-2011, 06:18 PM
the Clever Turn Signal

Last photo:

Who starts threads just to bash a product or the people who use it?
Old 10-21-2011, 05:05 PM
quadrajunk a name earned

Last photo:

I have used it on my LeMans with good results. bt
Old 10-22-2011, 01:12 AM

Last photo:

POR-15 experience

I have used POR-15 and several of the alternatives and have found them to all be comparable.

If you follow the instructions you will not go wrong.

As far as horror stories are concerned, most of them are in regards to user error.

I have made mistakes myself.

I had used quart cans with damaged labels provided by customers that were supposed to be top coat but turned out to be chassis black to paint a couple of trailers with.
The result was that the trailers developed a purplish color over the summer and had mild surface rust on the thin areas after about ten years.
The same goes for a plow I painted.
In the spots that were abused more than usual, flecks of rust could be observed.

I have seen horror stories involving people who did not do any surface prep on something with scales.

I have seen people try to use it without the primer and then respond angrily when regular paint peels off of the POR-15 surface.

I have seen an individual paint a 47' Studebaker truck with POR-15, and even if it turned out better than expected, I still consider it a horror story for some other Studebaker fan in the future who would like to see the truck look "factory fresh", because that truck was red with white wheels and Studebaker did not do it that way and it was already a clean truck beforehand.
(This is the only place that the expert and I see eye to eye in regards to the "horror" of POR-15 and the like, the owner has the right to do whatever he or she would like to with personal property, but if that truck were mine I would have done it right because it was a excellent survivor with some very desirable options- but regardless; I have seen worse things than POR-15 done to vehicles that I wish were my own. LOL)

I have read about three people and understand that several more than that have died due to painting with POR-15 in an enclosed area.
Now that IS a true HORROR STORY.

...BUT IS IT RIGHT TO FAULT THE PRODUCT FOR THE USER'S FAILURE TO READ INSTRUCTIONS?

If so, forks made Rosie O'Donnell fat and firearms have magical properties and devious desire to commit acts of violence.

It takes a person to misuse a tool.
Old 10-22-2011, 08:00 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ret_marine2003
I have used POR-15 and several of the alternatives and have found them to all be comparable.

If you follow the instructions you will not go wrong.

As far as horror stories are concerned, most of them are in regards to user error.

I have made mistakes myself.

I had used quart cans with damaged labels provided by customers that were supposed to be top coat but turned out to be chassis black to paint a couple of trailers with.
The result was that the trailers developed a purplish color over the summer and had mild surface rust on the thin areas after about ten years.
The same goes for a plow I painted.
In the spots that were abused more than usual, flecks of rust could be observed.

I have seen horror stories involving people who did not do any surface prep on something with scales.

I have seen people try to use it without the primer and then respond angrily when regular paint peels off of the POR-15 surface.

I have seen an individual paint a 47' Studebaker truck with POR-15, and even if it turned out better than expected, I still consider it a horror story for some other Studebaker fan in the future who would like to see the truck look "factory fresh", because that truck was red with white wheels and Studebaker did not do it that way and it was already a clean truck beforehand.
(This is the only place that the expert and I see eye to eye in regards to the "horror" of POR-15 and the like, the owner has the right to do whatever he or she would like to with personal property, but if that truck were mine I would have done it right because it was a excellent survivor with some very desirable options- but regardless; I have seen worse things than POR-15 done to vehicles that I wish were my own. LOL)

I have read about three people and understand that several more than that have died due to painting with POR-15 in an enclosed area.
Now that IS a true HORROR STORY.

...BUT IS IT RIGHT TO FAULT THE PRODUCT FOR THE USER'S FAILURE TO READ INSTRUCTIONS?

If so, forks made Rosie O'Donnell fat and firearms have magical properties and devious desire to commit acts of violence.

It takes a person to misuse a tool.
Very well said!

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.