Por 15 as a Primer - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-22-2003, 01:33 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Por 15 as a Primer

Ok my car is primered right now, and its too cold for me to paint it and i don't wanna take it somewhere, but i also don't want it to rust in the winter. I'm in Michigan by the way and the car is a 88 mustang from Texas with no rust at all.

So what i wanna do is put on por 15 on the lower half (like a foot up) of the car to protect it from rusting. I'm also gonna undercoat it with por 15.

How well will this work? Will the paint stick to it in the spring? What por 15 product would be best for this?

And tell me if you can come up with any better ideas, thanks.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-22-2003, 05:03 PM
point on positive

Last photo:

If theres no rust there now don't recoat the primer on the outside. Any rust that may show up in the next 90 days will be surface rust and easy to handle at paint time. As for underneth I would recomend Rustmort in a spray bottle to squirt up and behind those hard to reach areas before considering POR-15.
Por-15 may be the best advertised rust product but it is far from the best solution.

http://www.a2zautoforums.com/showthread.php?t=394
Old 11-22-2003, 05:38 PM
STUPID is as STUPID does...

Last wiki edit: Crankshaft Coalition Wiki Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Por-15 actually needs a "rusty" or rough surface to adhere to. If this car is as clean as you say it is the POR will just peel off anyway. Especially since you can't get in to prep the surface in the doors and all.
Are you planning to drive this car through the winter? If that's the case just spray some WD-40 into the doors every month or so. This will displace any water that accumulates and keep the salt and junk from settling in. Keep the car clean too. Don't let it sit if it's caked in salt. Wash it and spray out the fender wells as best you can then reshoot the WD-40. You have more work to do when it comes time to paint but you won't know how involved that will be till the time comes.
Mark
Old 11-22-2003, 06:34 PM
adtkart@aol.com

Last photo:

There are alot of rust treatment products on the market. Every one of them has someone that claims that it is better than every other product. I am not convinced that any of them actually do what they say that they do. I have learned over the years, that any product like that that fails, will result in a claim by the manufacturer that it wasn't used properly. I have seen alot of post on this board that recommend using Por-15. I have not personally used it, so I can't say if it is good or not. I have read alot on it, and it does say that it should be used over rust for best results. I also understand that it is sensitive to ultra violet rays, which means it needs to be painted over if used on the outside of the body.

I get the feeling that you are trying to avoid rust, not cover it. That being the case, and your location, the salt belt, the idea of the WD-40 does sound feasable to me. You will definately have a job on your hands when it comes time to paint. You will have to get rid of any trace of that stuff before paint will stick.
Old 11-22-2003, 09:10 PM
Just one of the guys

Last journal entry: Garage Toys
Last photo:

Before you do anything what kind of primer did you put on? And if you are going to do it right, don't go painting a foot up the sides with POR-15. If you drive it with salt on the roads and you get behind a semi, you will have salt all over the complete vehicle anyhow? So then what? Cover the whole car with POR-15? If you don't have holes in it, and it is undercoated good, you shouldn't have to worry about anything. If you are worried about it, find someone that can shoot some epoxy primer on it if you get it ready. If you are really worried about it, just have Maaco put a cheap paint job on it until next year. For about $150-$200 you could have the whole car painted to get you thru the winter.

Kevin
Old 11-22-2003, 10:25 PM

Last photo:

/\ What they said.
Old 11-22-2003, 11:15 PM

The last owner put the primer on, so i don't know what kind it is. I heard that most primers didn't deter rust/moisture and i figure this one is that kind.

If i take it to maaco i assume they will paint the whole car with the plastic/polyeurathane bumper kind of paint, since my car has plastic bumpers and then the paint won't chip off, but i have rubber moldings around the car, will the same paint flake off those since they flex more or will it be ok? I want the moldings to be the same color as the car.

Maaco said $229 to tape it and do 3 coats, no clear. Do you think it will get all messed up in winter? What can i do to prep it?
Old 11-23-2003, 05:44 AM
Just one of the guys

Last journal entry: Garage Toys
Last photo:

Should be fine for winter. It will last a few yearsa with Maaco paint. They couldn't mess it up any more than putting POR-15 on it.

Kevin
Old 11-23-2003, 12:41 PM
STUPID is as STUPID does...

Last wiki edit: Crankshaft Coalition Wiki Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

If you do go with the Maaco job be sure to have them put hardener in the top coat. This will keep the paint from scratching when you wash it.
If you do get it painted you can shoot some used tranny fluid into the door and rear quarter panel seams. This will help even more to keep moisture and salt out of them as it doesn't evaporate away like the WD-40 does...

Mark
Old 11-23-2003, 04:04 PM

Last photo:

As stated, there are many reasons not to use POR-15. Another is that the top coat must be applied while the POR-15 is still tacky for a proper bond. So not only might the POR-15 peel off the primer, but your final paint applied at a later date might peel off the POR-15.
Old 11-24-2003, 09:42 AM

Last photo:

I have used POR-15 many, many times. It will not adhere over primer. It will adhere to rusted areas and sandblasted raw metal. There are also two other steps to do before POR is applied. Marine clean and Metal ready. If these steps are not taken and the directions are not followed you will have problems. If you use POR-15 on your vehicle it is uv sensitive and will have to be topcoated on uv exposed areas. If it is an area that will later be painted, Tie coat primer must be used. I did this on my rocker panels with great results but it takes a huge chunk of time. I would not do it again on the cosmetically exposed areas of a vehicle again due to the time. Sandblast and epoxy primer. Much easier, less time, same results.
Old 11-25-2003, 09:13 PM

First are you going to drive it this winter or do you plan on letting it sit.
I would leave it as is the little surface rust that you may get over the winter will be easily cleaned up in the spring. A good car cover could help. I would'nt opt to have it painted at Maaco, and putting hardener in just the top coat isn't all that good. If you plan to paint it later or re-repair a spot when you sand through the top coat that opens up the paint under it and when you apply the new paint it could lift the non-hardened paint under it. This is figuring that you are storing it for the winter.
If you plan to drive it this winter and don't plan on painting it next spring have Maaco do it, put hardener in all coats.
Well hope this helps.
Old 11-26-2003, 04:22 PM

Smile

It should be fine. I know someone that has a fender that has been sitting for at least 4 yrs. and is still in great shape.:
Old 11-27-2003, 02:41 PM

POR 15

I tried the POR-15 system on a subframe which they tout as "powder coat in a can". All I can say is it was a big mistake.
POR-15 can only be an improvement if you are starting with a very rusty, pitted, ugly piece of metal. I started with a custom made subframe with smoothed welds, etc. and all the POR-15 did was make it look rough. Even after I took it back down to bare metal and strained the POR-15 through a filter as suggested by one of their reps, it still came out rough. When you consider the cost of the POR-15, the required pretreatment chemicals, the time lost and labor involved, I would have much better off getting it powder coated in the first place.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.