Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - POR15 Application Questions w/Pics
View Single Post
Old 01-24-2013, 10:10 AM

Last journal entry: Por 15
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by 496CHEVY3100 View Post
You did not mention if you used sand .soda glass ,or walnut shells,on small panel such as the one in picture i have glass in my cabinent with no problems,also coat with por 15 ,i spray mine one coat only . i have seen good results with brush ,if uou used sand with silica it needs to be washed with dx330 ar similar prodect to remove silica ( posion ) when i use sand i use play sand ,non toxic leaves no residue,.possibly wiping with wet ,water ,rag you might be just spreading contaminates, ,there are many opinions ,this is mine after 40 + years.
Company blast the parts. They told me they were going to use Aluminum Oxide for blasting.
I have never heard of cleaning the parts after blasting with anything more than water. I have never heard of dx330.
I thoguht about spray this stuff, but because the metal doesn't show I wasn't too worried it it didn't come out looking good.
I thought "Play" sand has even more silca in it then glass bead?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gringo View Post
I've been using por15 for years and never seen anything like this. Did you shake the can? You can't do that because you get air bubles in the paint. You have to stir it really well but in a slower motion. I've had really good results and I love the stuff. I should mention that I don't use the prep stuff. I also have never sprayed it. It flows out like glass with a brush. I paint right over rust. Use a lot of paint as in a heavy coat and apply 2 or 3 coats. Recoat when coat is just tacky enough to leave your finger print.
I think i did shake the can a little forgetting that you are not suppose to.
Doesn't the POR15 instruction say to apply in thin coats but apply at least 2-3 coats allowing time for the paint to "tack" in between coats?