por15 , or not? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-04-2010, 09:47 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

por15 , or not?

hello

i had a question about when is it time to use por-15 or is there a situation that its actually too small. i have some peices that have some rust that is very lightly pitted rust. the kind where im afraid if i keep grinding at it the metal might be very thin or i may go thrugh it . they are very small like little pin holes. i cleaned it with marine clean and treated the bare metal with metal ready. lots of it wased off with the metal ready but some spots are there but look black. whats the best way to aproach this? i have used por15 before where rust was below the surface , but these are so light if i go over them the por15 will be higher, coat the entire lower panel? hit the spots so they will be lower that the panel?....... i will use and epoxy, then sandable primer on top of this.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-05-2010, 04:53 AM

Last journal entry: Bringing home the 401 Nailhead
Last photo:

Do a search for POR 15 and you will find many posts, mostly negative. Most on this forum won't use it. Check out this Wiki article for information on how to deal with the rust; http://www.crankshaftcoalition.com/wiki/Rust

Epoxy primer seems to be the most recommended here.
Old 05-05-2010, 05:08 AM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

The best way to remove rust on small parts is with an electrolitic tank...very easy to make yourself for a couple bucks and no labor except washing the parts off...
Old 07-13-2010, 02:08 PM

Last journal entry: Dash mods
Last photo:

Here is a link for Rust Removal using Electrolysis

http://antique-engines.com/electrol.asp
Old 07-13-2010, 02:47 PM

Last photo:

I've used POR15 with great results and horrible results. But I don't think what you are trying to do is a good fit for the product at all. The advice about the electrolytic process sounds good. Its is a relatively simple process and will remove all of the rust. Once you pull the parts out of the tank, you will want to get a finish on it right away. I would follow the advice about using an epoxy primer, then if there are any pits that need to be filled, fill them over the epoxy primer, sand and finish.
Old 07-14-2010, 04:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadsire
this is the very best way to remove rust that i've come across its easy and inexpensive...It'll get into places that nothing else can ,for instance the lips on door bottoms and pinch welds ...It'll even get into the threads of a nut rusted solidly on a bolt....the problem is what to do after the rust is gone...I use ospho then epoxy primer with exellent ,long lasting results...
Old 07-14-2010, 10:03 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,083 Times in 966 Posts
Depending on what you expectations on this particular part and car are, POR "could" be used but as a last resort. Removing the rust is obviously the best way, then applying an epoxy primer.

One thing that people miss is that "grinding" rust away is usually the WRONG way to remove rust, from anything. Using something like a "surface conditioning disc" is the way to go. (click here)

This disc will go down into pits (not real deep ones) it will cut some metal off but not much. I have used them to remove brass off metal for instance on a vintage motorcycle frame where parts are "sweated" together with brass rod and the brass is running out onto the tubes. This disc removes the brass with no damage to the metal! They are a VERY nice tool to have around.

You may be able to remove the rust from your part with it so it can be primed and painted with REAL automotive products instead of the Walmart rust cover-upper like POR.

Brian
Old 07-15-2010, 06:25 AM

Those are a great product Brian...heres a little trick I use to get the most out of them...LOL yeah I'm cheap (waste not want not)but the smaller they are the tighter the spot you can get into......
por 15 just covers up rust for a while and it will come back much worse then you started...Its more a lazy mans fix it or a cover up for a used car...not for the pros...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_6007 (Small).jpg
Views:	80
Size:	47.0 KB
ID:	46761  
Old 07-15-2010, 11:16 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,083 Times in 966 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadbodyman
Those are a great product Brian...heres a little trick I use to get the most out of them...LOL yeah I'm cheap (waste not want not)but the smaller they are the tighter the spot you can get into......
por 15 just covers up rust for a while and it will come back much worse then you started...Its more a lazy mans fix it or a cover up for a used car...not for the pros...
You got cheap, and you got lazy, I'm lazy. But damn these suckers are expensive and I think I will start a little system to do as you are doing, that just makes a lot of common sense to me!

Brian
Old 07-15-2010, 03:01 PM

Remember when an 8" grinding disc was 1.00? well,way back then we had a disc cutter to trim them down and reuse. Now a small 4-5"disc is 3.50 and it looks like one we had cut down 3or 4 times..I just use an old set of straight snips on these rol-locs and they work like new again,on a smaller backing pad...Come to think of it ...I havent even seen an 8" grinding disc in years...if you can find one they'll probably cost 10.00 ea...LOL.. BTW Those are HF angle grinders 10.00 ea.......some things are getting cheaper...Its a sad day when the sand paper costs more than the sander...

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.