porsche 914 v8 build - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-25-2012, 04:55 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

porsche 914 v8 build

ok i'm looking for some info on my build I have a 914 porsche that I got about 2 months ago and now i'm looking to put a 283 in it. the 283 i picked up cheap about $150 the kid i got it from said it ran but would not idle well and was kinda of a dog so he pulled out of his camaro I got it home and tore it down
the engine looks to be in great shape it still has the honing marks in the cylinders and they .030 over it has a braket master 2 cam in it with smog 624 on top of it the piston are domed but the are small dome maybe 4cc the are trw l2148 pistons

my question is do you think the 624 heads was the cause of all his problems. I do have a good set of 305 601 heads that have the 1.94in valves installed and a nice port job on them

what is the max you would rev a 283 with what looks to be stock but lighten reworked rods stock forged crank turned 10m 10r I would also guess the engine was balanced

my porsche is a manual with very short gears and its also very light right around 2500 pounds with me in it and I way 265 lol thanks for any comment and info

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-25-2012, 12:29 PM

am i missing some info there is no answers yet
thanks
Old 03-25-2012, 09:31 PM

has know one ever built a 283 or is there some major problem with my project

I also wanted to know what intake you would use on a motor like this i have a few to pick from like a edlbrock rpm or a Excalibur i also have a victor that i can get I was hoping the car would idle around a 1000-1200rpm i know it wont have much power down there if any
Old 03-26-2012, 06:34 AM
How fast is fast enough?

Last photo:

Well, you have a poor choice of sbc to start with, anything a 283 can do a 350 can do better and cheaper.

If you still want to build the 283 I would look around for a good set of camel hump heads with 1.94/1.5 valves. Have them milled down as much as you can safely go and get a good valve job. Find an RPM intake if you want to keep it carburated. Cam selection will be based on your exhaust and compression. If you can get about 9.5-10:1 compression and a free flowing exhaust then I would go with a cam in the 220 range, if you have to run exhaust manifolds and your compression is down then I would pick a cam in the 210 range.

Don't waste your time with the 601 heads. the cam you have MAY work but I have no idea what the specs are as you didn't provide a part number.
Old 03-26-2012, 03:50 PM

if you would have read threw the post compression should be near 11-1 with the domed trw forged piston and the 56 cc 305 heads with the 1.94 valves you are right a 350 will make more power any where but the 283 will rev better why is it that you have to start with a 350 to have a good project. I do not need all the power in the world not going to be drag racing but maybe a street course here and there its not going to be a daily driven car but a weekend cruiser and like i said i dont have to find a rpm intake I already have one

cam is a lunati 00010 bracket master 2

I would like to know where the max rpm would be on an engine like this

what intake to use edlbrock rpm excaliber or victor are what i have to chose from

the 601 ported and 1.94 valved heads that I have should out flow any stock cammel hump head and or even maybe a stock vortec head

thanks
Old 03-27-2012, 08:00 AM
How fast is fast enough?

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by backyardracer
if you would have read threw the post compression should be near 11-1 with the domed trw forged piston and the 56 cc 305 heads with the 1.94 valves you are right a 350 will make more power any where but the 283 will rev better why is it that you have to start with a 350 to have a good project. I do not need all the power in the world not going to be drag racing but maybe a street course here and there its not going to be a daily driven car but a weekend cruiser and like i said i dont have to find a rpm intake I already have one

cam is a lunati 00010 bracket master 2

I would like to know where the max rpm would be on an engine like this

what intake to use edlbrock rpm excaliber or victor are what i have to chose from

the 601 ported and 1.94 valved heads that I have should out flow any stock cammel hump head and or even maybe a stock vortec head

thanks
"should be near" doesn't mean much, there are a lot of people who think they are at 11:1 and its more like 9:1, your final compression ratio may be close to 11:1 or it may not, I would shoot for around 10:1 unless you can afford $6 a gallon gas.

the 283 will NOT "rev better" it doesn't do anything better than a 350, except get better mileage.

Ported heads with a valve job are certianly an improvement over stock castings, put that same porting effort into a better casting and its no contest though, the other issue is that 601 heads are VERY thin, camel hump heads are very thick so they can take more abuse. 601's also have the "y" cast into the exhaust runners like the 416's I believe, which through scavenging to ****.

The engine will be good to about 6,000 RPM provided you have good assembly, balance, and fasteners.
Old 03-27-2012, 09:58 AM

Last photo:

Unless this is a race only build, get the compression down.
Generally, 9:1 with steel heads and 10:1 with aluminum heads for street friendly engines.
I would lean toward a all aluminum LS based engine for such a lightweight car.
Old 03-27-2012, 12:10 PM

thanks for that info and i'm going to keep the 11-1 compression and run e85 but I was really hoping for a little more rpm for the gears in my porsche you are right thoe a good set of camel hump would have been better but they are getting hard to find in Nebraska and the work has all ready been done to the 601 heads and as for the y exhaust port I think just about every stock head has it you just have to fill it in seen it done many time

I do normally believe in cubes my camaro has a 400 sbc with vortecs I did drill the steamers and I do love the tq it has but I didnt really need all that tq for my porsche

I did calculate my compression ratio
56-58cc chamber
4.00" head gasket .016 thick
piston down from tdc .035
pistons .030 over with 4cc domes

I really did think a 283 would rev 7000rpm with the recon rods good pistons and the stock forged crank maybe I need to pick up a new set of rods.

an LS engine would be great but the hybrids kit cost alot more for a LS style engine and i dont have any thing that will bolt to it I all ready have a stock pile of old sbc stuff

Last edited by backyardracer; 03-27-2012 at 12:29 PM.
Old 03-27-2012, 12:32 PM

the heads do have new valve springs titanium keeper roller rocker and all that good stuff
Old 03-27-2012, 02:18 PM
How fast is fast enough?

Last photo:

Quote:
thanks for that info and i'm going to keep the 11-1 compression and run e85 but I was really hoping for a little more rpm for the gears in my porsche you are right thoe a good set of camel hump would have been better but they are getting hard to find in Nebraska and the work has all ready been done to the 601 heads and as for the y exhaust port I think just about every stock head has it you just have to fill it in seen it done many time

I do normally believe in cubes my camaro has a 400 sbc with vortecs I did drill the steamers and I do love the tq it has but I didnt really need all that tq for my porsche

I did calculate my compression ratio
56-58cc chamber
4.00" head gasket .016 thick
piston down from tdc .035
pistons .030 over with 4cc domes

I really did think a 283 would rev 7000rpm with the recon rods good pistons and the stock forged crank maybe I need to pick up a new set of rods.

an LS engine would be great but the hybrids kit cost alot more for a LS style engine and i dont have any thing that will bolt to it I all ready have a stock pile of old sbc stuff
If you're going to run E85 then run about 13:1 compression ratio, and pray you can find a starter that can handle it. The stroke has little to nothing to do with the RPM's its all in the valvetrain. If you only want 7,000 RPM then a good solid cam with the proper springs, rockers, and pushrods can do it.

For good power up to 7,000 RPM with a 283 you'll want:
a 190cc or so intake runner and a 1.94" valve
a VicJr or Super Vic intake manifold
a 800cfm or so carb
a GOOD hei ignition
get your rods peened and polished and run ARP bolts
get your pistons lightened
get it all balanced and RUN A GOOD HARMONIC BALANCER (that doesn't mean a new cheap rubber one either)
good solid flat tappet cam with about .500-.550" lift and 240ish duration
Good pushrods
1 5/8" long tube headers (1 3/4" would work well too)
relieve all of the oil passages that you can and run a select oil pump
a crank scraper is a must
a good oil pan with a windage tray is a must

If you have a decent 283 to start with you can probably shop around and get it all built for about $3k.
Old 03-27-2012, 11:21 PM

thanks that's more of what I was looking for the rods have all ready been done
i'll have the machine shop check there balance but they have been polished and shot peend I would think i can lighten the pistons and get them all the same weight. then have them check the crank and re-balance it

13-1 compression is going to be hard for me to get with the pistons that I have and I might just look for a different set of heads after all

Do you know of any one that makes very tight chambered heads with 1.94in and 1.6ex valves my roller rocker 1.6-1 should be fine and i already have a set of good after market push rods that need to be sized but i'm know where near ready for that yet
Old 03-28-2012, 02:46 AM

i do have a good set of reworked 601 heads that i thought would work for a 283 i dont have any flow numbers on myn but most of them that i've seen flow right around 230 to 235 cfm around .500 i would geuss that myn would not be to far off from those number but you never know for sure with out a flow bench

i was looking to find some after market heads with like 45-48cc chambers, 190cc runners would be ideal but hard to find and i think i will be afraid of the price when i do find them
Old 03-28-2012, 06:47 AM
How fast is fast enough?

Last photo:

Quote:
i do have a good set of reworked 601 heads that i thought would work for a 283 i dont have any flow numbers on myn but most of them that i've seen flow right around 230 to 235 cfm around .500 i would geuss that myn would not be to far off from those number but you never know for sure with out a flow bench

i was looking to find some after market heads with like 45-48cc chambers, 190cc runners would be ideal but hard to find and i think i will be afraid of the price when i do find them
Getting 230cfm out of 601 heads is no easy task, on top of that they don't have a good runner or chamber design.

Heads will cost some money, there's no doubt about that. DART makes some small cc heads but they're been rolled to 21 degrees so you'll have some alignment issues there.

Really If I were you I would just pick up a used and running LT1 engine, do a cam swap and run it. It will rev just as high as the 283 you are planning, be cheaper, produce more power, better mileage, and have more resale value. the LT1 will use whatever conversion pieces you already have for a gen1 sbc and it really a nice little enigne.

The 283 is a loosing proposition and its going to cost you a considerable amount of money.
Old 03-28-2012, 08:01 PM

Last photo:

Mabe play with the 283, while looking for a small journal 327?
Then you could combine the two for a quick revving, 302, without the expense of buying a genuine 302. (I assume you want quick rev)

Just a thought. But IIRC th' 914 is not a very heavy car, and the 283 would suit it well when done properly. And a 302, with the 4" bore and 3" stroke will rev very quickly.
Old 03-28-2012, 09:00 PM

ya i thought about building a 302 but my cost would go up alot after getting the 327 block all prepped and new pistons and every thing ells the 283 would be alot cheaper i really dont have any thing in it at all the kid said it was a pooch in his car so he pulled it and sold it to me for $150 I dont think he would have sold it so cheap if he would have opened it up. Some one had put alot of money in it and picked the worst heads possible for it 76cc 624 heads it could not of have had much compression and if his car didnt have a stall that would have even been worse.

I really didnt think there was much difference in an old gen 1 sbc and a lt engine besides the heads and I was thinking the rod's were pm's arn't those weaker I maybe wrong I'm not sure

I think I'm going to go ahead and put what I have back together just re-ring bearing and gasket's and check all the tolerances

could i do away with the hydraulic lifter and put solid ones in it and re-brake the cam in. The cam doesn't look like its been ran much i really dont see any wear at all on it

by the way AP72 thanks for all the help you have given me so far i'm going to have alot more question for you in the future and it may seem that i'm doubting you but in all realality i'm trying to learn

there is some stuff that my books just dont tell me

Last edited by backyardracer; 03-28-2012 at 09:10 PM.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.