Port-a-band saw - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Garage - Tools
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-09-2010, 11:13 AM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

Port-a-band saw

In my ongoing trials of stuff HF had a port-a-band saw on sale so I picked one up..if you are doing any steel fabricating you need one of these things. Very convenient tool and one can cut accurately with one, I expect I will be using it often when I am fabricating steel..

http://www.harborfreight.com/portabl...saw-47840.html

This gets a Sam Sez and yes there are industrial versions if your budget runs to it..

Sam

Advertisement
Advertisement

Old 06-09-2010, 01:32 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

I have one of those also and I agree it works just great!

I have mentioned mine here before as an example of one of the really good buys HF has and if the service I have gotten out of mine is common to all of them then they are going to rank right up there at the top of the list. I have to admit they are not Milwaukee quality and I have had mine get a bit hot while bearing down in a heavy cut but this was definitely well within the description of abuse and even the industrial types should not get subjected to that kind of treatment, still a Milwaukee probably would not have heated up. I can definitely recommend these things as decent quality and VERY handy tools, one of those things that most people just end up wondering how they got along without them.

One note, when you buy one stop at Lowes, Home Depot or some other place that sells blades and get a Morse or Lenox bi-metal blade because the HF blade is not going to last very long.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-09-2010, 05:25 PM

Last journal entry: Engine Compartment
Last photo:

We have one made by real-gear that can be had for close to the same price if i recall and you can even get a base for it to use it on a bench top. Those saws are a great tool for anyone
Old 06-09-2010, 07:26 PM

Last photo:

At work we use these daily. We have tried all the brands and this has proven itself over the long haul.

Old 06-09-2010, 08:03 PM
Show me the money !

Last photo:

My business demands the "porta-band" . I have seen these HF brands and wondered about them, maybe good for a few cuts here or there. I mean I use it every day, and beat the living s*#@ out of it. Bind It , use it in the rain, lay it in the mud, drop it , lower it off the ladder holding it from the cord, not to mention the HUNDREDS of other things I use it for. The First one I wore out in about 10 years, after replacing several parts on it ( mostly bushings and such).The motor was still running but needed brushes. I gave it to a buddy and he still uses it. Then broke down and bought an updated one. ( Both Milwaukee's) . If you are serious at all about your metal cutting. You must have one of these . Its great for fabricating brackets, exhaust and cross members and stuff. Highly recommended for all hotrodders.
Old 06-09-2010, 08:21 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast 4 Door
My business demands the "porta-band" . I have seen these HF brands and wondered about them, maybe good for a few cuts here or there. I mean I use it every day, and beat the living s*#@ out of it. Bind It , use it in the rain, lay it in the mud, drop it , lower it off the ladder holding it from the cord, not to mention the HUNDREDS of other things I use it for. The First one I wore out in about 10 years, after replacing several parts on it ( mostly bushings and such).The motor was still running but needed brushes. I gave it to a buddy and he still uses it. Then broke down and bought an updated one. ( Both Milwaukee's) . If you are serious at all about your metal cutting. You must have one of these . Its great for fabricating brackets, exhaust and cross members and stuff. Highly recommended for all hotrodders.

Just as with all HF tools they should not be considered for the professional, what we are recommending them for here is the "Weekend Warrior" and for that they are a bargain! Certainly they are not Milwaukee quality but they don't cost Milwaukee prices either and most non-professionals just don't use them enough to warrant the extra cost of pro quality. I have used mine a lot and it does a good job, for the hobbyist/home shop user I think it is well worth the money and then some but I would not recommend them to a professional for the same reason I would not recommend any HF tools to depend on to earn a living with.
Old 06-09-2010, 08:25 PM

Last wiki edit: General Motors transmissions Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 27

band saw

I use my Milwaukee deep cut a lot for fab work. I carry a bottle of oil for lube for cutting steel and a wax block when cutting aluminum. wax or oil really helps blade life. I rarely use th stationary band saws in the shop.
Old 06-09-2010, 08:29 PM
Show me the money !

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldred
Just as with all HF tools they should not be considered for the professional, what we are recommending them for here is the "Weekend Warrior" and for that they are a bargain! Certainly they are not Milwaukee quality but they don't cost Milwaukee prices either and most non-professionals just don't use them enough to warrant the extra cost of pro quality. I have used mine a lot and it does a good job, for the hobbyist/home shop user I think it is well worth the money and then some but I would not recommend them to a professional for the same reason I would not recommend any HF tools to depend on to earn a living with.

Agreed

Recent Garage - Tools posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.