Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Port CFM vs. Valve Size vs. Port Velocity...Data WANTED!
View Single Post
Old 04-11-2006, 03:44 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Really good stuff guys. Thats what I'm looking for. When I put this motor together it was 1990 and the L-98 was an excellent buy compared to whatever other new castings were available which were few. Old decent castings were getting harder and harder to find and I wanted to go with a high CR so the aluminum made sense, and still does. I had started with a 283 and the 1.94 valves were the biggest you could make work in the 3 7/8" bore. I blew that one up and moved the heads to a 4 bolt 010 350 block. Ramped up the project to make use of the new 383 technology that was just hitting the aftermarket (cranks, pistons etc) and here I am attempting to fine tune the mill. I only have about 4 thousand miles on this engine.
The heads have been helicoiled, have had traditional valve cover mounting points weleded in (to accoodate my roller rockers), have hard guide plates and 7/16ths threaded studs installed. They have been port matched to both my intake and exhaust along with a good 3 angle grind including a back cut. Something was done to the valve guides...maybe opend up a bit? and the PC seals were ditched for something that allowed more oil to pass through...this was all done at Gromm Racing heads in San Jose CA. A good friend of mine worked there and I had all this done for free...or rather I took professional pics of his 65 351 stuffed stang dragster indoors in our studio at work as trade for all the head work.
Also, I have fully polished the exterior of the heads. So....I have a few things into them as they sit. I would rather use them but am open to making a swap if it just don't make sense. You folks are helping me to find the upside and downside of all my options....just what I was hoping for!
I would need to send these out for porting (if it goes that way). Can anyone reccomend someone who would know what to do to these heads? For a fair price? $400-$500 would be fine...