Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Port CFM vs. Valve Size vs. Port Velocity...Data WANTED!
View Single Post
Old 04-12-2006, 12:08 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

For comparisons sake, at $500 it sounds like my heads would flow somewhere around 235 CFM. At what velocity I don't know. I would be pretty much done with these heads at that point unless someone thinks a 2.00 valve would have some value....I would think the bigger the valve the greater the potential velocity by nature of communicating a stronger signal to the port....just theorizing here.
Anyway, what could I buy for $500? Nothin really...so really how much would I need to spend to buy a head that will flow 235 CFM or better out of the box? Out of the box should be less money than buying new heads and porting them. Upside would be greater flow potential, bigger valves to start and some modern technology working its magic.
To offset this I would sell my L-98's....how much are they worth? Like new, fully polished with some nice machine work included. I would keep my rockers, guide plates, big studs and just move them to the new heads. Maybe $600?
So, can I buy my desired aluminum heads, 58cc chambers, 235 or better CFM, high velocity runners (gotta include at low lift here too), 2.02 or bigger intake valves, stainless seats etc. for $1100 ($600 + $500 from the porting I would have done)? Am I in the ball park? Of course I give up the pretty exterior polishing......whatever on that one. Damn, those L-98's made sense 16 years ago! I can't believe its been that long and I'm still dinking with this thing!