Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Port CFM vs. Valve Size vs. Port Velocity...Data WANTED!
View Single Post
Old 04-12-2006, 11:54 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAIRB
Don't lie to yourself and think that you can on a budget, get them to produce race car like power. I know that you probably like the look of them, but by the time you actually pay someone to port them EFFECTIVELY............You could have went out and purchased a brand new set of aluminum heads from Brodix or Dart or RHS, and saved yourself a bunch of time, and also the disappointment that your goals aren't met.
You want a daily driver and you are shooting for an 11.6:1 compression ratio? You should re-think that.
Wow! I think you may have missed my point of bringing up the subject to begin with. I'm looking for both the upside and downside of working on these heads, which I didn't have flow numbers for when purchased in 89. They were touted as being something pretty special and they were used on my 283 which still makes sense as "mid range torque heads" you yourself stated. They ended up on the 383 built in 92 since they were virtually new and had a few bucks put into them. All my cash went into a full balance and forged bottom end goodies. The polishing will not be a deciding factor..it just took me about 40 hours of hand labor to complete.
Another individual stated 400-500 would cover a good port, not me....if I can sell the L-98's for about $600 (was asking if that is reasonable or not) plus the $500 I would have spent I could go shopping for around $1100 and be spending the same amount of cash. Didn't say that was my budget...just finding an even level trade off for where I could be at....and I did find that $1100 would get me into some fast burns or Edelbrock heads. I was pleasantly surprised!
But where did a daily driver come from? Not this thread! And where did I state that the L-98's would produce the HP I was looking for? I was looking to you folks to illustrate the difficulties and options....never did I say something to the contrary....hmmmm...I do see a comment by me that states "if it just don't make sense, new heads are not out of the question". I also have ran this setup at the stated 11.6:1 CR for about 4000 miles and find it to be satisfying. I live at 5000 feet of elevation and can run 91 with octane boost on the street, if its not too hot outside, and not pre-ignite. But I do thank you for your comment no matter how misguieded and I am looking into new heads as the most likely choice.
Automotive Breath, thanks for the pics....I wish I could see what I'm comparing those too...I do see that the chambers look smaller, more contoured and deeper with a lot of quench... increased turbulence?